• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Another picture from January 2018 in Guadalajara (Central Spain). The bird I refer to is the one above the cormorant.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 252
common sand for me - breast pattern looks ok - too pale for green

Pale or dark, without a comparison, cannot be used. Depends of lighting, exposition of the photo and post-treatment (even if automatic).

You can use a feature than doesn't need comparison. The tail of a Common Sandpiper goes further beyond the wing tip. No Tringa is like that. Although the photo is poor, clearly there is no tail beyond the tail tip, visible, so not a Common Sandpiper.

The white of the breast of Common Sandpiper would goes further up along the wing.

Another vote for Common Sandpiper from me. The breast pattern looks wrong for Green, with the dark extending forward from the sides of the wing and the centre of the breast pale - Green should be cut straight across the breast. The hunched posture looks better for Common to me, and the plumage tones also look better. Also, in my experience, Green very rarely perches on branches (away from the breeding grounds, I haven't seen them when breeding), but this is not at all unusual for Common Sandpiper.

Given the quality of the image I'd be reluctant to say for sure whether or not the tail would be visible in the field. I think the bird is not perched on the large branch, so leg length is also difficult to judge.

I should add Common sandpiper is easy to find here, while I have never seen a Green one. Anyway, according to books Green sandpiper can be found in the area during winter, that's why I had doubts with this picture.

Another vote for Common Sandpiper from me. The breast pattern looks wrong for Green, with the dark extending forward from the sides of the wing and the centre of the breast pale - Green should be cut straight across the breast. The hunched posture looks better for Common to me, and the plumage tones also look better. Also, in my experience, Green very rarely perches on branches (away from the breeding grounds, I haven't seen them when breeding), but this is not at all unusual for Common Sandpiper.

Given the quality of the image I'd be reluctant to say for sure whether or not the tail would be visible in the field. I think the bird is not perched on the large branch, so leg length is also difficult to judge.

I agree with this assessment.

I should add Common sandpiper is easy to find here, while I have never seen a Green one. Anyway, according to books Green sandpiper can be found in the area during winter, that's why I had doubts with this picture.

They (Green Sand.) are now passing massively through Europe.

I'm sorry, you should have another look.

You say "with the dark extending forward from the sides of the wing and the centre of the breast pale - Green should be cut straight across the breast. "

It is exactly like this one, the first I found on Google Image.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../1200px-Green_sandpiper_(Tringa_ochropus).jpg

"Also, in my experience, Green very rarely perches on branches"

May be in UK, but generally speaking, it does more than Common Sandpiper.

"Given the quality of the image I'd be reluctant to say for sure whether or not the tail would be visible in the field."

Well, we clearly see the legs, no reason that tail wouldn't be seen.

It is a perfect Green Sandpiper, and you prefer to imagine the legs, clearly visible, cannot be judged, and the tail miraculously concealed to lead to a Common Sandpiper... very strange.

100% sure Green Sandpiper for me.

I'm sorry, you should have another look.

You say "with the dark extending forward from the sides of the wing and the centre of the breast pale - Green should be cut straight across the breast. "

It is exactly like this one, the first I found on Google Image.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../1200px-Green_sandpiper_(Tringa_ochropus).jpg

"Also, in my experience, Green very rarely perches on branches"

May be in UK, but generally speaking, it does more than Common Sandpiper.

"Given the quality of the image I'd be reluctant to say for sure whether or not the tail would be visible in the field."

Well, we clearly see the legs, no reason that tail wouldn't be seen.

It is a perfect Green Sandpiper, and you prefer to imagine the legs, clearly visible, cannot be judged, and the tail miraculously concealed to lead to a Common Sandpiper... very strange.

100% sure Green Sandpiper for me.

Where is the need for this quite agressive undertone? It is one thing to be convinced by your ID, which I still support BTW, but to ask others in this manner to look again, I don't know... I wouldn't be encouraged to continue in this thread!

Back to the topic. I appreciate it is a very blurry image. The recent - also rather heated - discussion about the IDability of those kind of pour photos comes to mind. I based my ID as Green mainly at the strong contrast from dark upperside to white belly and the seemingly too long legs and bill. Don't know if there is or is not a protruding tail, wouldn't dare to be sure. But the white at the throat isn't a problem for Green. I found another photo showing this quite well:

http://www.africanbirdclub.org/afbid/search/birddetails/species/579/30962

As for the perching on branches. I have seen Green Sandpipers do that (also during migration when resting). Why shouldn't they as they even breed in old nests of Thrushes :t:?

For me it still looks like a Green Sandpiper but who knows with this low quality photo... More (blurry ;) ) photos could help.

Last edited:
Where is the need for this quite agressive undertone? It is one thing to be convinced by your ID, which I still support BTW, but to ask others in this manner to look again, I don't know... I wouldn't be encouraged to continue in this thread!

Back to the topic. I appreciate it is a very blurry image. The recent - also rather heated - discussion about the IDability of those kind of pour photos comes to mind. I based my ID as Green mainly at the strong contrast from dark upperside to white belly and the seemingly too long legs and bill. Don't know if there is or is not a protruding tail, wouldn't dare to be sure. But the white at the throat isn't a problem for Green. I found another photo showing this quite well:

http://www.africanbirdclub.org/afbid/search/birddetails/species/579/30962

As for the perching on branches. I have seen Green Sandpipers do that (also during migration when resting). Why shouldn't they as they even breed in old nests of Thrushes :t:?

For me it still looks like a Green Sandpiper but who knows with this low quality photo... More (blurry ;) ) photos could help.

If I explain that, I will look agressive for real. 3:)

I'm always learning and so intrigued by this discussion.

I've enlarged the image and then tried to recover colour and detail - hard to do from a poor (sorry OP) image.

Does it help at all?

Attachments

• sandpiper.jpg
    sandpiper.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 127
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back