• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walking boots (1 Viewer)

Well, I've settled on always going for full leather with Gore-Tex (or equivalent non-proprietary) linings.

Whatever quality brands are sold near you - expect to pay your version of $200AUD +

However good they are, unfortunately they may wear out quicker than you expect !

Chosun 👧

Depends what sort of walking you're likely to be doing, long hill days with rocky paths or no paths and lots of heather bashing, or lower level stuff on decent tracks. Good ankle support is crucial for the former, but you'd get away with lighter boots or walking shoes for the latter.

Personally, I'd also go with full leather and a goretex type lining, but would add vibram soles to that as well, apparently vibram lasts longer than other types of soles, according to my son who works for a well-known UK outdoor shop. Go to a decent outdoor shop, ask to speak to a member of staff about footwear and explain what sort of walking you'll be doing and they should be able to give you pretty good advice. Don't forget about insoles/footbeds, the ones that come in the boot or shoe may not be the best for you and it is well worth paying a bit extra for a decent footbed. Some outdoor shops also have staff members trained in fitting footbeds as well.

If you're likely to be walking in wet grass, crossing streams etc, I'd advise against anything with a brushed leather or suede type finish, I've found they don't stay waterproof as long as normal leather and you have to re-proof them more frequently.

Walking shoes/ boots are too personal to give any useful recommendation, imo. What works wonderful for me can be a nightmare for you and the other way around. :)

But for what it is worth: I have literally walked thousands of miles on Meindl Bhutan, often carrying lots of weight too. I'm on my 4th pair now, I think.

As others have said, it is a case of "how long is a piece of string". You need to weigh up lots of criteria.

What will you be doing in them?

Looking for a pair of walking boots .

Looking for recommendations

Thanks sean
I always found Keen boots excellent. An American brand, really good quality & very waterproof. Amazon usually have some decent offers ie. KEEN Targhee II bought for £80 instead of £200.

For years i just wore non membrane running/ trail shoes and sandals for summer hillwalking and scrambling in Scotland. I just waded rivers wearing them. Water came in easy but drained easy too. I only wore boots in winter.

Go to a reputable shop with trained staff, get your feet measured and try different makes on.
Also helps if they have one of the little ramps to walk up and down on.

I prefer Meindl because they have a large toe box for my frostbite damaged toes.
My daughter likes Salomon because they are relatively narrow in the main body of the boot.

All very subjective and pointless recommending a specific make for someone else

I'm a fan of Merrell shoes and boots - I like the way they are comfortable from the first time I wear them. You might find differently, depending on all sorts of things.

I have "waterproof" shoes which I use for general birding, places with reasonable paths.
I have "waterproof" boots for heavier weather and for more serious hill walk.

Go to a reputable shop with trained staff, get your feet measured and try different makes on.
Also helps if they have one of the little ramps to walk up and down on.

I prefer Meindl because they have a large toe box for my frostbite damaged toes.
My daughter likes Salomon because they are relatively narrow in the main body of the boot.

All very subjective and pointless recommending a specific make for someone else
Good advice.

The 'brand' or 'style' of 'boots' that you think you want, may not be the ones that 'fit' you the best.

Fit/Function, for YOU, will be the primary determinants.

Whether boots are Vibram soled, or other, good value, or top shelf expensive, Gore-Tex lined, similar technology linings, or just plain old thick leather - I have literally destroyed them all - and I don't even think what I have done is particularly strenuous - bush walking, trekking, scrambling etc.

I always go for the Gore-Tex /other brand linings, and get the best hi-tec moisture wicking socks too.

** Another big tip is to get parachute cord for laces. Yes, I destroyed even these too, but they last many times longer than even the toughest regular heavy duty hiking boot laces.

Good luck in finding something that fits and works 👍

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

Much more information needed: where you are; what you are going to do; what size and shape are your feet?

I have relatively short for my height, narrow, high instep, bony feet and blister easily. Anything I recommend will be useless for most folk, as would someone's recos if they have wide and flat feet, aside from some of the general points already made about going to a good shop or 5 and trying many things on. I have found this way that the likes of Zamberlan and AltBerg have a decent narrow fitting which works for me (next boot purchase, if needed, will be AltBerg Malham).

With regard to waterproof membranes: they will ALL fail at some point (I had a pair fail disastrously in rain while up a hill in NW Sutherland), so being able to re-proof the outside is a consideration. I've gone back to all leather uppers with as few seams as possible, so I can Nikwax or whatever the buggery out of them.

I've come to regard replaceable/repairable soles as a better idea than integrated soles, especially if one can maintain the uppers well, so Vibram or similar, depending on location, seem sensible.

These days my boot armoury is a pair of Zamberlans as the main, big boy boots (leather uppers with a membrane, replaceable Vibram soles), with a couple of pairs of cheaper, albeit still mostly leather upper, Teva and Rockport ones for messing around on beaches.

Sorry to be late to the party. I go with the advice to visit a proper outdoor shop with trained staff who know about boot fitting.

I prefer not to use a proprietary membrane in my boots - they never last long, take an age to dry out when the inside of the boot gets wet (when not if) and they make my feet very hot so the boot is uncomfortable in most conditions. I was also told by the bootmaker at a well-known bootmakers that the the use of a membrane liner allows the manufacturer to use a poorer quality leather because they can rely on the membrane for "waterproofness" - may or may not be true but it confirms my prejudices. So I use leather boots with no membrane which I can treat regularly with waterproofing wax.

I was sceptical about good footbeds until I tried them. I am now a complete convert and have them in my boots and walking shoes - well worth the money.

I am a big fan of Salomon and have had three pairs now (light-weight boots to wear out more quickly the thick heavy leather ones). I find the fit of their boots fine but I did find their running shoes a little too narrow.

Much more information needed: where you are; what you are going to do; what size and shape are your feet?

I have relatively short for my height, narrow, high instep, bony feet and blister easily. Anything I recommend will be useless for most folk, as would someone's recos if they have wide and flat feet, aside from some of the general points already made about going to a good shop or 5 and trying many things on. I have found this way that the likes of Zamberlan and AltBerg have a decent narrow fitting which works for me (next boot purchase, if needed, will be AltBerg Malham).

With regard to waterproof membranes: they will ALL fail at some point (I had a pair fail disastrously in rain while up a hill in NW Sutherland), so being able to re-proof the outside is a consideration. I've gone back to all leather uppers with as few seams as possible, so I can Nikwax or whatever the buggery out of them.

I've come to regard replaceable/repairable soles as a better idea than integrated soles, especially if one can maintain the uppers well, so Vibram or similar, depending on location, seem sensible.

These days my boot armoury is a pair of Zamberlans as the main, big boy boots (leather uppers with a membrane, replaceable Vibram soles), with a couple of pairs of cheaper, albeit still mostly leather upper, Teva and Rockport ones for messing around on beaches.
Agree entirely on all points, especially the repairable soles aspect.
Am likewise a delighted Zamberlan customer, their boots are superbly crafted and super durable.
For easy going casual walks though, nothing imho beats the Ecco Track II, even though it has a Goretex membrane and an integrated sole. They are wonderfully comfortable.

I know I'm a bit too late for discussion(OP probably done already), but maybe my 2 cents going to be useful for someone. For overall walking through wilderness/trail I'd recommend Garmonts(my pref are Tacticals but find what model fits you best): Great support for your heel, thick sole, mostly waterproof, no blisters( at least for me).
For other 1% Muck Boots - swampy areas, mud, heavy rain. Great rubberized waterproof boots all around. I don't personally use 'em for normal walking you gonna sweat like no tomorrow after 2-3h and hence you going to need a break to dry you feet up. It's great to have in your backpack incase you need 'em, but don't really think it would be great as a primary option(maybe there are other models, but definitely an issue for one I have).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back