• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler species french Pyrénées (1 Viewer)

Jmead

France
Hi all, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this please.
Merlin has it down as a tick for me, and having listened to the call, I am hopeful, but would like expert opinion (I won't say what Merlin says so as to not influence opinions).
I have a few other recordings if needed.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2023-07-11 18_38.wav
    1.9 MB
Posting more recordings might be useful here. WOW is pretty hard to come by throughout most of the French Pyrenees…

I was too hasty in calling it Western Orphean. The song phrase is a bit short, usually Garden Warbler sings continously but has a fairly similar structure as hortensis (and nisoria by the way). Still Western Orphean usually has more of a two-toned up and down whereas Garden W. is more hurrying and more divers in tones. So, probably Merlin is right with Garden Warbler, excuses for the wrong ID.

Ever thought of taking pictures?
Often thought of it. Often done it. It's not easy with thick fog / clouds when up a mountain. I would have struggled to see a horse 5 m in front of me. Unfortunately that made seeing a warbler in a bush pretty tough..

Sounds very much like Garden Warbler to my ear, perhaps a touch slower and less frenetic than I’m used to, but the overall pitch is there imo.👍

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back