• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WareHouse Express Banner (1 Viewer)

kryptora

Does anyone know where this has gone to?

It used to be at the head of the page and was a useful link to go to their site to read reviews and order kit - now it's not there.

Geoff Brown said:
They ought to. I've plugged their site plenty of times along with a few other birdforum members!

Plugging their site doesn't necessarily bring in the pennies!!! I had noticed they no longer appeared here - but presumably it was not cost-efficient for them. Kryptora - you can easily get your own link to their site!!! ;)

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Plugging their site doesn't necessarily bring in the pennies!!! I had noticed they no longer appeared here - but presumably it was not cost-efficient for them. Kryptora - you can easily get your own link to their site!!! ;)

or perhaps not cost efficient for BF? I find it hard to believe its the former EB. There are a number of BFers who've bought Nikon ED78, Nikon HG and Zeiss 65 over the last few week.

Thanks EB - I have got a favourite set already - it's just more convenient to use a link of the BF page - laziness really?

Elizabeth Bigg said:

pduxon said:
or perhaps not cost efficient for BF? I find it hard to believe its the former EB. There are a number of BFers who've bought Nikon ED78, Nikon HG and Zeiss 65 over the last few week.

Perhaps Admin could answer this one, as I don't know anything about BF's finances.

I do wonder if Warehouse Express can tell if their advertising here benefits them - we bought a scope and tripod from them some while back, but I don't think they asked (on the internet order form) where we had heard about them.

The removal of the link to Warehouse Express is to do with an ongoing reorganisation of sponsorship for Bird Forum.

The details are still being worked upon at present, but hopefully there should be some news of the changes in the not too distant future :t:

As long as BF retains it's independence and neutrality - it is a fine line between sponsorship and overt advertising.

IanF said:
The removal of the link to Warehouse Express is to do with an ongoing reorganisation of sponsorship for Bird Forum.

The details are still being worked upon at present, but hopefully there should be some news of the changes in the not too distant future :t:

Bird Forum has been approached by a number of companies, offering sponsorship and over the last few months BF has been offered substantial sums to sell the site. Unfortunately with some of the potential sponsors and those wishing to buy-out birdforum our independence would have been diluted.
After several negotiations, BF now has sponsors/contributors who insist on keeping BF independent from any commercial considerations.

Andy Bright said:
Bird Forum has been approached by a number of companies, offering sponsorship and over the last few months BF has been offered substantial sums to sell the site. Unfortunately with some of the potential sponsors and those wishing to buy-out birdforum our independence would have been diluted.
After several negotiations, BF now has sponsors/contributors who insist on keeping BF independent from any commercial considerations.

Come on everyone..I gave £20.00 for a years entertainment. Why don't YOU reading this just give a few £££££ or $$$$$$ or whatever currency..to this site? You know it makes sense.

What would your winters night or baking hot night (Oz) be like without BF?

John B.

john barclay said:
Come on everyone..I gave £20.00 for a years entertainment. Why don't YOU reading this just give a few £££££ or $$$$$$ or whatever currency..to this site? You know it makes sense.

What would your winters night or baking hot night (Oz) be like without BF?

John B.

John - many people may have contributed towards the Forum - but prefer not to have "BF Supporter 2004" above their Avatar! This was optional.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
John - many people may have contributed towards the Forum - but prefer not to have "BF Supporter 2004" above their Avatar! This was optional.

See Andy's post. Need I say more?

BF aren't asking for you/us to send them a fortune. I am asking for anyone over 18 to send just £10, £20+ per annum.

Would you go in to W.H. Smiths and take Birdwatch, Birdwatching or free?.. of course not.

I just think that that of the 17,000+ members that this site has, we could give a bit back to the guys and girls we never see...c'mon guys, lets get real - it's a great site and what would we do without it.

We learn so much from some great people..no names..and hey! if you contribute I might stop being so grumpy!

John Bxxx

Last edited:
john barclay said:
[I just think that that of the 17,000+ members that this site has, we could give a bit back to the guys and girls we never see...c'mon guys, lets get real - it's a great site and what would we do without it.
We learn so much from some great people..no names..and hey! if you contribute I might stop being so grumpy!

John Bxxx

First time I've even thought about it - just noticed the Support BF button at the top of the page. Talk about subtle - I've been here most days for the last year or more and never seen it.

The independence of the site is critical IMHO. After all the criticism I've seen of other reviews (ie for optics) and alternative outlets for debate, I'd have thought that we're all agreed on that.

Through my work, I do quite a bit of online research on a huge number of subjects, and I've never come across a site as large, comprehensive, user friend and just plain friendly as BF, whatever the subject.

Birders are damn lucky to have a site that participants in other hobbies / interests could only dream of. In part, that's a reflection on birders themselves ( :clap: ) and part a reflection on everyone involved in setting up / running BF :clap: :clap:

I'll happily chip in my £10, but I think there's a serious case for the powers-that-be at BF being a little more forward about funding / donations.

Nothing heavy, nothing compulsory, just a case of benig a bit more obvious about how folk can help. No obligation at all, no special treatment / badges for those that do / can / are fortunate enough to be able to help.

And BF stays free, independent, open to all and brilliant. Could anyone object to that?

How about BF producing a calendar to put a bit of loot into the coffers.

Too late for a 2005 one, obviously, but how about the 'Staff' choosing a couple of pictures from those submitted to the gallery each month next year.

The monthly contest winners might not be suitable because you'd need one to encapsulate each month - and the idea of two per month would be to have one for each hemisphere, as we have quite a few members from down-under, etc.

The majority of shots should, of course, be birds but there might be room for the odd insect or landscape as well to show BF members' other interests and 'set the scene.'

I've no idea what's involved in getting a calendar printed, BTW :h?: - just thought it might be a good idea... ;)

I think everyone who comes on daily can chip in a tenner?

I remember when i put mine in early in the year the number of donors was apprently still in single figures - if you can believe that!

Hi Adey,

Not a bad idea and one that I have been considering, though from experience it's not something that generally generates sufficient income to make the project worthwhile. Printing costs of such a project are pretty high.

Certainly something to consider though for future years along with one or two other ideas.

We've already ventured into the area of Bird Forum merchandise with the caps, tee-shirts, Bird Forum Supporter and metal lapel badges which have been well received but not with the gusto it might have been.

Sponsorship certainly helps with the monthly bills which are wholly paid for by the site owner Steve but doesn't cover the full costs involved, so any ideas from the membership are greatly appreciated :t:

Last edited:
Hi Ian

Just to add that for anyone who doesn't want to have the BF name emblazoned across their head or body then the lapel badge is a really nice way of showing your support for BF in an understated way.

Tim Allwood said:
I think everyone who comes on daily can chip in a tenner?

I remember when i put mine in early in the year the number of donors was apprently still in single figures - if you can believe that!

Thanks Tim,

£10.00..is that too much to ask for over 18's?

John.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back