• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Washington DC info required. (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Posted this in the Maryland section of the USA state by state index but have had no joy. Thought I'd repost it here to see if it gets a bigger audience. Hope mods don't mind.

Hi all

Planning a trip to Washington DC in the first two weeks of July. Have managed to find some info on some State Parks in the area (Rock Creek, Great Falls) but read with interest that the Kenilworth Aquatic gardens is supposed to have breeding Prothonotary Warbler, White Eyed Vireo and Blue Grosbeak. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so, any ideas where they can be found? Also, any other info on the DC area (or any birding sites in Maryland that would be passed on the way from Gettysburg) would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Links to Washington DC bird checklists are here. Prothonotary Warbler is listed as occasional at Kenilworth Park but White-eyed Vireo and Blue Grosbeak are at uncommon there. Figure you have less than 50% chance at seeing something listed as uncommon and 1/10 chance at occasional.

I'm going next week for the first time myself. Wish it was a birding trip, but no. I will have some free time to poke around and didn't know where to go near the hotel so I asked this guy:

http://dendroica.blogspot.com/

He was kind to respond and very helpful. You might send him a message.

Hi Chris

I used to live in Washington DC, indeed Prothonotary Warbler, Blue Grosbeak, and White-eyed Vireo all breed in or around Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, but aren't particularly common. One or two pairs of Prothonotary could usually be found along the River Trail at Kenilworth (the trail that goes from the gardens towards the Anacostia river), they should still be singing in July. Blue Grosbeak breeds (used to breed?) at Kenilworth Park, just outside the Aquatic Gardens, in the shrubbery and hedgerows between the unmown fields and the ponds that border the aquatic gardens, and White-eyed Vireo should be in this area as well. Note that Kenilworth is in an area of the city that is a bit rough, though as far as I know birders have been going there regularly for the last 10-15 years without any trouble.

All three of these species are however much easier to find outside the city, the Hughes Hollow area would be a particularly good bet, Protho breeds there and at many nearby sites (all along the C&O Canal, really), and Blue Grosebeak and WE Vireo are fairly easy to find in appropriate habitat there as well. They're a bit quieter in July than in May or June, but should still be vocal.

Hi all

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately, but will let you know how I got on when I return.

Regards

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back