• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water Pipits in Scotland? (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Are there any reliable places in Scotland where you could see Water Pipits? I saw a mention at Musselburgh, but I'm not sure how regular they're found there. I have a feeling I might have seen them before but had mistaken them for a Rock Pipit, but I'd like to get a confirmed sighting.

Are there any reliable places in Scotland where you could see Water Pipits? I saw a mention at Musselburgh, but I'm not sure how regular they're found there. I have a feeling I might have seen them before but had mistaken them for a Rock Pipit, but I'd like to get a confirmed sighting.
The most regular sightings are around Dunbar, along the rocky coast there. Broxmouth and the Fluke Dub has had a wintering bird for the last few winters.

Thanks David. Are you allowed to walk along the golf course there? I was thinking I could get a train to Dunbar and walk along the coastal path through the golf course if that's allowed.

Around Ruddon's Point at the eastern end of Largo Bay in Fife has been another place Water Pipits have overwintered in relatively recent years. Also recall sightings in Ayrshire this past winter, somewhere on the coast. My own best views were at Barns Ness in 2016, with a bird feeding just a few feet away from us. Water Pipit

I have a feeling I might have seen them before but had mistaken them for a Rock Pipit, but I'd like to get a confirmed sighting.

Although you do get Rock Pipits that you need to look at closely to be certain they aren't Water Pipits, the Water Pipits I've seen have been very brown-ish in tone on top and almost white with brown streaking (rather than smudgey grey) underneath and a yellow-ish bill (EDIT: Having looked at my Rock Pipit photos as well, I've changed my description slightly to differentiate better from Rock Pipits that share some of the features).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back