• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterfowl ID- The Hague Netherlands (1 Viewer)

I believe this is a red-crested pochard female, nothing else in the area seems to match this bird. Is there any chance it is something else? Apologies for the poor photo.
Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 8832F093-1A30-4C47-ADE7-A70229DA824D_1_105_c.jpeg
    8832F093-1A30-4C47-ADE7-A70229DA824D_1_105_c.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 60
Hello,
yes I agree with you and birdboybowley its a female or juvenile Red-crested Pochard. Proportions with a miniature head seems somewhat strange, even funny (no offense) to me.

But before it is burried under newer threads: do you remember (or have more pictures), if the appearant colouration of the bill was like it looks like on the picture? It seems to be greenish-yellow=Mallard-colour = out of variation (?) for a pure RCP. And this for than more than the half of the bill.

Yes this can well be explained by picture quality, but if real this might be a RCP x Mallard hybrid.

Hello,
yes I agree with you and birdboybowley its a female or juvenile Red-crested Pochard. Proportions with a miniature head seems somewhat strange, even funny (no offense) to me.

But before it is burried under newer threads: do you remember (or have more pictures), if the appearant colouration of the bill was like it looks like on the picture? It seems to be greenish-yellow=Mallard-colour = out of variation (?) for a pure RCP. And this for than more than the half of the bill.

Yes this can well be explained by picture quality, but if real this might be a RCP x Mallard hybrid.
That’s an interesting point, however the bill was entirely a slaty black colour. The sun was setting right behind it, and caused a reflection. I did not even know they could hybridize. Photo was taken with my phone through binoculars. Today taught me to never leave the camera at home again!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back