• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing from the bedroom window (1 Viewer)

Ben M

Around 3pm today I had a look out of the window with my bins and was pretty sure I saw a Waxwing in a distant tree with a group of Starlings. Ten seconds later it was gone. A single bird was at our local supermarket for over a week, but the last sighting was Monday, so there was a reasonable chance.

I scanned all the treetops I could see trying to relocate it, but without success. Just as I was about to give up, it lands on the lamp post right outside my bedroom window and hangs around for about 15 minutes. I guess it's my lucky day.

Attachments

• 2007-02-25 - 15-41 - Garden - Waxwing.jpg
    2007-02-25 - 15-41 - Garden - Waxwing.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 139
Good to know that there are Waxwings about, not seen any this year yet down here in Bristol. Great for you Ben to see this one, good pic.

Rod.

Thanks guys.

Has me thinking about how often this kind of thing happens and goes unnoticed. I mean if I hadn't been working at home, and hadn't stopped to look out of the window at that time, well... ;)

I was quite impressed by the pic... for a hand-held compact through my 10x bins, it's probably one of the best I've taken. Yesterday was my lucky day.

Ben M said:
Thanks guys.

Has me thinking about how often this kind of thing happens and goes unnoticed. I mean if I hadn't been working at home, and hadn't stopped to look out of the window at that time, well... ;)

I was quite impressed by the pic... for a hand-held compact through my 10x bins, it's probably one of the best I've taken. Yesterday was my lucky day.

Must happen all the time. I should have been working overtime one friday afternoon a couple of years ago. Something came up and had to go home. On arriving home there was a Sparrowhawk eating a pigeon in the back garden! After about 5 mins it flew off with it's catch. If i hadn't have come home i wouldn't have seen it.

bitterntwisted said:
That's quite a spot out the window. I was thinking my Tawny Owl and Blackcap were quite impressive but that's amazing!
It's all relative though Graham... first time I saw Waxwings was a flock of ten in our Knaresborough garden - not high up in a tree, but low down feeding on berries along the side of our garage!

Next was the bird (probably the same bird as this) at our local Tesco a week or so ago. So this "garden bird" was great, but not a lifer or even a self-found lifer.

On the other hand, Tawny Owl is not only a patch bogey bird for me... I've never seen one anywhere. In fact, all owls seem to have eluded me, with the exception of a brief Little Owl sighting!

I've not seen a Blackcap since I started actively birding either, but it has been winter ;)

Swap ya? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back