• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wearing binoculars while biking (1 Viewer)

Gidget

United States
I am curious about binocular harnesses or some way to carry binos while biking. I don't tour long distances, but I keep my camera in a bag on the bike. I'd like to somehow harness my binos against my body so I can stop and look easily and they won't be swinging around. I know there must be something out there. What do you recommend? Thank you!

I have seen cyclists wear them around the nature parks I visit. You just have to type binocular harness in eBay and you'll get a host of different versions.

Interesting question. At first I was thinking a snug belt pouch. (Fanny pack turned around to front) There's some heavy duty ones out there, but I'm not sure if it would hamper the mechanics of riding. Logically, mounting a case against the front of the handle bars would be handy as well, although I worry they would take road bumps there.

I have been cycling with binoculars for over 35 years and I have always worn them just like I would wear them when walking: just on a normal strap around my neck. But I have a "Dutch" bike, meaning I sit quite upright. If they hamper me too much I will swing them to one side (over my shoulder).
If you have a racing bike you'd definitely need something else because the binoculars would be in the way too much (although I think I would go for the "over the shoulder" method).

I have taken binoculars out many times while cycling. I usually just let my neck strap out as far as it will go, throw it on bandolier style, and have it rest on my lower back while leaning forward and cycling. This might not work for everyone, and I have not done this with a full size binocular. Only 8x25 Victory's and 8x32 Steiner XC’s.

I mountain bike. If my main purpose is biking, I carry my binoculars either in a pouch in the left side pocket of my backpack -- accessible with my left arm without removing the backpack -- or occasionally I put them in the pocket of my jacket, without any caps on and ready for use (I use my 8x25 Terra for this). This in Winter, when I do have a jacket with pockets on.
On flat terrain, when my main goal is to bird, I wear them bandolier style, with objective and ocular caps. In that case, those are my "nice" 8x32 binoculars.

I think it would work well also to put binoculars in a handlebar bag -- but I don't use any on my mountain bike.

I used clothing with a large chest pocket designed to carry an OS map. Medium sizes binos should fit ok.
Buffalo Clothing do a warm winter top, and an uninsulated windproof for warmer conditions, that have a decent chest pocket.
Paramo Clothing do similar garments.

Last edited:
8x20 compacts in rear pocket of cycling vest or jacket, wherher on a mountain bike or road bike. No case, just the binos for faster 'deployment'.

I have a small fishing back pack. I store the bins in an upper pocket of this so can reach round and take the bins out (like an arrow from a quiver) without taking the pack off my back. Takes a little practice to do it in one movement without looking :)

I am curious about binocular harnesses or some way to carry binos while biking. I don't tour long distances, but I keep my camera in a bag on the bike. I'd like to somehow harness my binos against my body so I can stop and look easily and they won't be swinging around. I know there must be something out there. What do you recommend? Thank you!
Can I offer a word of caution about keeping a binocular in a bag on the handlebars. The bag would need to offer quite a bit of
soft protection against vibration. Optical instruments do not like being jarred. I should know as it is how I have made a living
for many years - resetting prisms and alignment including a few episodes for The Repair Shop.

If you decide to try a harness, I recommend Vortex, though I'm sure there are other great ones out there too.

It sounds like you want a harness (like hunters use). It’s the easy way to have very fast access to your glass. At the top would be Kuiu or Marsupial. Quality on a budget is Vortex.

Hi,

I either keep my binoculars in a handlebar bag with quick release ... like these ...

... or they just hang from my neck with slightly reduced length of (standard) sling.

(I'm doing this with my 8 x 42 binoculars, on a trekking bike with mountain-bike like riding position, and never had any problem with them swinging or snagging. It seems not everyone is comfortable with this, but it works for me.)

With regard to optics on the bike, textile bag/pannier materials seem to dampen jolts well enough that I never had a problem. I'd not be comfortable with rigid metal boxes, unless the equipment in them is protected by form-fitting foam all around.

Regards,

Henning

I'd suggest the Rick Young harness and loop the cords around the barrels to pull the bins tight to your chest (he demonstrates this "configuration" in his promo video). Lightweight, and will keep the bins at hand for quick usage better than any pack/bag system.

~Stefan

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back