• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weevil ID please? (Cambs. UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Really struggling to ID this Weevil. It is pretty large, 1.5cm-ish.

Can someone take a look and set me straight?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic36.jpg
    Pic36.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
It might be—-

Graptus triguttatus , the white spots are sometimes faint and some of your weevil is in shadow , but everything else looks right .

It might be—-

Graptus triguttatus , the white spots are sometimes faint and some of your weevil is in shadow , but everything else looks right .

Hi creaturesnapper,
Sorry to be a pain. I have just realised that Gratus triguttatus is 6-8mm. Although "in-the-field" measurements are decidedly iffy, if that blade of grass is say 4mm across, the weevil has got to be bigger, surely.
I have had a couple of suggestions from someone who believe it or not is a farmer (he owns land adjacent to the reserve) - Hypera conmaculata, and Liophloeus tessulatus. Apparently they were both found during some sort of survey.
I have just seen that there are over 630 weevils in the UK. I had no idea, jeez. I think I'll have to put this one down as a weevil and move on.
Really appreciate your help.
Yours, Gareth

Hi creaturesnapper,
Sorry to be a pain. I have just realised that Gratus triguttatus is 6-8mm. Although "in-the-field" measurements are decidedly iffy, if that blade of grass is say 4mm across, the weevil has got to be bigger, surely.
I have had a couple of suggestions from someone who believe it or not is a farmer (he owns land adjacent to the reserve) - Hypera conmaculata, and Liophloeus tessulatus. Apparently they were both found during some sort of survey.
I have just seen that there are over 630 weevils in the UK. I had no idea, jeez. I think I'll have to put this one down as a weevil and move on.
Really appreciate your help.
Yours, Gareth

Your caution is right, I was a bit concerned when I saw the ID suggested based on just one shot. They are difficult enough with specimens so as I've said before, they really need to be typical examples photographed from ideal angle (or many angles) to allow reliable ID from photos.

Your caution is right, I was a bit concerned when I saw the ID suggested based on just one shot. They are difficult enough with specimens so as I've said before, they really need to be typical examples photographed from ideal angle (or many angles) to allow reliable ID from photos.
Thanks for your input Ficedula.
The weird thing is that this is a relatively large hairy weevil. I can't actually find any pictures of a weevil that has the grey hairy legs and the size.
But as you say, difficult from one picture.
I sort of get the impression from reading through some of the documents online that weevils have not had as much focus as other Coleoptera.
Yours, Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back