• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (5 Viewers)

These are just outstanding, Nick! Although I must say I've now sworn off musical analogies for at least a couple of days...:-O.

I see we are still in Nick's Blue Period ;) My fav is the last one which is Soooo subtle and the surface unified with background and subject not one and the other, makes the hide and seek of finding the birds a pure visual delight

haha, I think the 'blue' period is due to the lack of sunlight with the camera, much like Alan's wonderfully blue white paper. I'm very much in the yellow and purple patch as usual, though it's more lemon and payne's grey at the moment. I'm working on a scribble on a red bit of card I nicked from the recycling at work - a male black redstart on the roof next to the classroom was too much of a distraction from a not very talkative student.

Oh, what a feast for the eyes! I'm slowly realising that there is soooo much more to life than a 3B and paper - a thing called colour. Trouble is, black and white does it for me just as much as the most vivid colours. When you see work like this, though, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

If I become another victim of job cuts, I'll at least have something to fill my days!

Russ

Oh, what a feast for the eyes! I'm slowly realising that there is soooo much more to life than a 3B and paper - a thing called colour. Trouble is, black and white does it for me just as much as the most vivid colours. When you see work like this, though, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

If I become another victim of job cuts, I'll at least have something to fill my days!

Russ

black and white are the most vivid colours together, no two 'colours' could be further from each other - give into that little voice called temptation and have a go, trying new things is never a waste of time!

My fav is the last one which is Soooo subtle and the surface unified with background and subject not one and the other, makes the hide and seek of finding the birds a pure visual delight

Back for another longer look and I tend to like the last one best too. But that's sort of like saying I'd prefer $10 million dollars to $11,$12,$13 or $14. They're all so out of this world that the choice is really unimportant.

As usual they mix bird and environment, color, light, movement, shape and of course space. i do really think it is bird art, or any art, at its finest. Just incredibly rich.

Popped out to Pagney this morning hoping for a bit of migration - wishful thinking! Not a single duck of any sort on the pool - not even a mallard and the only wader was a snipe that flew over. I suppose it's when it gets dull like that that you spend more time sketching the common birds, so I started on the coots and a GC grebe. One pair of grebes has got week-old young, which is a surprise this late in the year. Then we have a 'classic' chiffchaff, deep olivey all over, a big eye with bags under it and a bum-end that doesn't stop moving. The blue tit was added as an afterthought when it appeared later. The excitement appeared in the form of a black woodpecker (sorry Ads) that flew over just as I'd unzipped my flies to take a leak, then a marsh harrier, then sod all, so I came home!

Attachments

• pagney 23 9 10 005.JPG
    pagney 23 9 10 005.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 80
  • pagney 23 9 10 006.JPG
    pagney 23 9 10 006.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 75
  • pagney 23 9 10 009.JPG
    pagney 23 9 10 009.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 56
  • pagney 23 9 10 008.JPG
    pagney 23 9 10 008.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 56
  • pagney 23 9 10 007.JPG
    pagney 23 9 10 007.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 45
Wonderful, Nick! So much sense of the birds captured with so little (apparent) effort - more incentive for me to keep at it.

I concluded a long time ago that birds and other critters have a 'detect-a-leak' biological sensor in situations like yours. When I was doing a lot of serious bird photography from a blind, there were numerous situations where the target (or any target) was nowhere to be seen. Until right at the point where a rest break was, uhh, in process - and of course in swooped the bird in perfect conditions with the unattended camera and tripod effectively miles away.

Back to sketching...the photography background poses a problem for me, in that the goal of most of the photography was the perfect 'portrait' shot of the target species. I have a lot to learn from you folks here about composing and executing a piece with the bird as a focal point, but within an appropriate setting, like your second piece here.

Last edited:
Nick your works never fail to amaze me and excite my eyes....love the 3rd pencil drawing and a warm shout for the egret, which is perfectly caught

A case of one pecker attracting another, I suppose.
I've got a major problem with the coot/grebe image - just how do you manage to do this, exactly??? Phenom!

Brimming with life as usual and making me wish I'd made better use of my own time out this morning! No sketches to show for it, even with a briefly seen Northern Waterthrush.

bumper doings- there's so much more in the coot and grebe arrangement than a warm-up sketch and then looking around the eye of the chiffchaff and the woodpecker head: it is all there in few lines

Some days I go out and I don't see any decent birds that inspire me to put them in the skaetchbook.

I'm not looking hard enough.

Mike

The studies are such a joy to see, thanks for brightening my day! I have been so sequestered away with skins these past few weeks that to hop over here and have a visit with such life is a real treat!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back