• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Love the way you so swiftly translated the Capercaillie experience back to the World!

Astonishing.

Black Stork is a favourite of mine from Polska. But this composition is truly an inspiration. Migrating no? Idiosyncratic and perfect!

The Marbled White exercise is understated colour and arrangement in a shock of simple joy!

What can I say Comrade in arms? :bounce:

PS Except this is the day we get you to do 10,000 posts? If we all work together that is? Wonder what that 10 Grand post will be? Hope it's sthg weird!

Last edited:
The storks were my lifer black storks in 2007, flying against a vaguely Great Britain shaped cloud - found by friends visiting from the UK. They found me the storks and I managed to get them eagle owl and black woodpecker the same day. Strangely the best bird that day was an immature eider on the river - but we'd already seen plenty of those in the UK.

Love the way you so swiftly translated the Capercaillie experience back to the World!

Astonishing.

Not only swiftly translated, but swiftly translated from such a brief and quick sketch to begin with. It really does show the power of art, and especially your version of art.

If there ever was an example of how photos are lacking this is it. Perhaps user would have been able to transform a quick snap into something evocative but I think most photographers would have just gotten a brief glimpse of something. Nick shows how to take a brief experience in the field and turn it into a fully fledged and resonant painting. Just 'astonishing', to quote Phil once again.

Just for the record, great to see some fieldsketches on Surfbirds European Stop Press tucked in amid the rarity papparrattzi photos;)

Capers are brilliant, immediate and different Nick. The Black Storks are very nice to, a great sense of scale in this on thanks to the clouds, a real winner.

What a lovely thing to look at. The Marbled Whites....

So let me get this right, you're not content with making me jealous of your sketching talent, now you're making me jealous of your birding experiences too? ;)

Seriously, all credit to you - fabulous sketches when time and materials are against you. You've really given us the feel of the caper experience.

So let me get this right, you're not content with making me jealous of your sketching talent, now you're making me jealous of your birding experiences too? ;)

Seriously, all credit to you - fabulous sketches when time and materials are against you. You've really given us the feel of the caper experience.

Perhaps. But really it was just a taste of what I hope to see next time! This forest is amazing, it's where I got hazelhen twice, first a brief flight view, then a female wandering around on the floor a year later - maybe next time I'll be jammy enough to get a lynx or a three-toed woodpecker there!

I've realised just how bad the biodiversity is in the UK compared to the continent - but i suppose I'm lucky that my region is very varied in habitat having everything except coastline.

More top-notch stuff here. I particularly like the stork sketches - lovely sweeping lines that, once again, seem so right. Great to see gadwall, too. Very clever how you've sketched out a ready made composition so quickly.

I'll add my penny's worth about comapring the biodiversity of the UK to abroad: forget Norfolk, try birding where I come from - canada geese, reared pheasants, a tufted duck, two mallard, a meadow pipit, lots of dog c**p and canada geese.

Russ

Terrific, atmospheric caper. It amazes me how effortlessly you seem able to fix a momentary experience in your mind's eye and then recall it to the paper whilst adding a classy flourish of artistic seasoning.

I love the towering clouds with storks too but those marbled whites are outstanding.

Mike

Only just seen those latest pics....[i seriously have trouble keeping up with so much good artwork about]....anyway....

As others have commented...bloody marvelous...!!

You have really caught the essence of that Caper sighting Nick...so much movement and atmosphere...[right 'up my street']!...and as for the storks...blimey...those 'blue hues'..!! I could imagine a large version of this on the ceiling of a church or something...beautiful work....:t:

Nick - I really like your sketches! especially the pipit! Alot of info in that sketch.. :) Something I am striving for. One day.. :D It is wonderful to have sucha a great resource in this website to keep me inspired and moving forward!

had a very nice long weekend (at least France is good for bank holidays!) with a lot of rain which has seen me spend a lot more time in the studio - I even did some tidying AND made a cake, and still had time to get some quality drinking in. B :)

here are the latest two efforts - lapwings and great white egret, then the Richard's pipit (with a subtle demonstration of its characteristic descent as an abstract in the background).

Attachments

• november 2010 008.jpg
    november 2010 008.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 66
  • november 2010 006.jpg
    november 2010 006.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 66
Wow, there just aren't enough superlatives in my vocabulary to do justice to your work. The egret and lapwings is an inspired and inspiring composition and the execution once again shows the power of a 'simple' style when wielded by an expert. Amazing stuff, Nick!

Lapwings just beg to be put into compositions like this, they're a bird of pure pattern. Always expect great work from you Nick and I haven't been disappointed yet!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back