• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (1 Viewer)

Phil - where are you getting these teasing bits of info from?

BTW i do'nt 'need' Dusky Warbler for the WMids but another inland one would be nice.......

Laurie:t:

Wishaw. Had a wander round here again this morning. 300+ Golden Plover on the slope East side of Wishaw Lane. Stonechat showing well up by the Z Bend and pull in. Grey Partridge flushed just before this. 6 Skylark in same area where the field of young brasicas are. Kestrel, large numbers of corvids and Mistle Thrush off Church Lane. Lots of singing birds and a fair few Robins getting to grips. Spring is in the air!!!

Hydes Road Pool

Hi Steve, living in Hill Top just around the corner from the Hydes Road pool its a place I have perused many times over the years. This year it held more Shoveler than Sheepwash Urban Park, Goosanders & Pochard have been noted in double figures & small numbers of Teal. Many years ago I did manage a drake Mandarin & who knows what may drop in thou its close proximity to the road & human traffic I would say only a short stop for anything of great interest. During the open cast mining at the old Patent Shaft site the pool almost dried up as did the other balancing lake near Ocker Hill that I have promised myself a nostalgic visit soon. Cheers & Happy Birding B :)

flock of around 100 barnacle geese over halesowen this morning at about 10.00am heading north

jon

Attachments

• barnacle geese.JPG
    barnacle geese.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 329
If they are barnacles that is an incredible record for the Midlands. However they look more like canadas from the photo to me but hard to be sure.

If they are barnacles that is an incredible record for the Midlands. However they look more like canadas from the photo to me but hard to be sure.

i thought they were canadas at first - here's a crop of the front of the flock - looking again there may be some canadas in there

jon

eta: having had a good look at the original images they all look like barnacles to me (maybe 1 canada) - there are c80 birds in the picture and there were maybe a dozen or so that i didn't capture in the image

Attachments

• barnacle close up.JPG
    barnacle close up.JPG
    482.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Ok. Yesterday morning I was driving to a meeting near Dudley about 9.50/10ish and I happened to glance up when something caught my eye. I had a flock of c100 small looking geese flying over in a v formation. Obviously I couldn't stop & couldn't make out any plumage as driving, but I thought they looked 'interesting'. Was waiting to see if anyone had a flock of pinks over yesterday. Must be the same birds, just too massive a coincidence.

Ok. Yesterday morning I was driving to a meeting near Dudley about 9.50/10ish and I happened to glance up when something caught my eye. I had a flock of c100 small looking geese flying over in a v formation. Obviously I couldn't stop & couldn't make out any plumage as driving, but I thought they looked 'interesting'. Was waiting to see if anyone had a flock of pinks over yesterday. Must be the same birds, just too massive a coincidence.

that's the direction they were heading - n or nnw over halesowen (mucklow hill)

:t: B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back