• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Papua Rainforests To Be Destroyed For Chinese Olympics (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

Having met with considerable resistance in projected clearing of highland forest in Irian Jaya for the purported intent of establishing Palm Oil Plantations even though said palms do not thrive at the stated altitudes, so much so that one may naively ask if the real intent was the wood stocks to be cleared for these plantations, the Chinese Government hand-in-hand with the Indonesian politicos are not to be deterred and are at it again!

"
> URGENT, URGENT, URGENT - PLEASE PROTEST AND FORWARD
>
> Dear Ecological Internet network participant,
>
> Chinese plans to use ancient rainforest timbers from Indonesia
> for Olympic construction offer a unique, discrete opportunity
> to raise the profile of China's increasing role in rainforest
> destruction - particulary in Southeast Asia. If you have not
> already, please immediately take action at:
>
> http://www.rainforestportal.org/alerts/send.asp?id=olympic_timber
>
> There are other opportunities to ensure this campaign is
> successful. On the bottom of the alert are links to addresses
> to contact your local Chinese embassy and Olympic committee
> with a follow-up letter. And lastly, please get the press release
> below in the hands of local and national media in your region.
> This Olympic logging tragedy must be stopped. Please forward this
> message to grow our network - we simply need more alert
> participation to be successful.
>
> Warm regards,
> Dr. Glen Barry
> *********************
>
> PRESS RELEASE
> Beijing, China 2008 Olympics: Destroying Ancient Rainforests to
> Raise the Torch
>
> May 1, 2006
> From Rainforest Portal, a project of Ecological Internet, Inc.,
> http://www.rainforestportal.org/
> Contact: Dr. Glen Barry, [email protected],
> +1 (920) 776-1075
>
> With two-and-a-half years to go until the start of the 2008
> Olympics to be held in Beijing China, the Chinese government and
> Olympic Committee have recently placed a $1 billion rush order
> for endangered ancient rainforest timbers. They are to be
> industrially logged from Indonesia's Papua province to be used
> in construction for the games.
>
> This weekend the Rainforest Portal and Ecological Internet's
> global ecological advocacy network launched a campaign against
> this Olympic rainforest tragedy at
> http://www.rainforestportal.org/ . Already several hundred
> thousand protest emails have been sent to the Chinese and other
> national Olympic committees. Many dozens of email accounts have
> been filled and shut down around the world.
>
> In explaining the rationale for the protest, Dr. Glen Barry
> notes "it is outrageous that China's Olympic facilities are to
> be constructed from ancient rainforests. It is against the
> Olympic ideals of bringing 'people together in peace to respect
> universal moral principles' when the events are housed in
> facilities constructed with timbers of questionable legality and
> morality. The Olympics should stand for peace and justice, not
> deforestation and ecosystem collapse."
>
> Indonesia's Papua province on the island of New Guinea has some
> of the world's last remaining large intact rainforests. The
> proposed timber processing factory would industrially harvest
> 800,000 cubic meters of the famous and threatened merbau (intsia
> spp) rainforest timbers, destroying huge swathes of ancient
> rainforests, to be exported to China for the construction of
> sports facilities.
>
> China's demand for timber following a ban on logging in their
> own country is devastating ancient rainforests around the world
> and particularly in Southeast Asia and Indonesia. An investment
> of this size will only serve to legitimize and further fuel
> illegal, highly unsustainable, and ecologically devastating
> logging, ensuring the destruction of the world last large and
> critically threatened ancient forests.
>
> The campaign is calling upon the Chinese government and Olympic
> committee to commit to hosting an "old-growth, ancient forest
> free" Olympics. As a start, the purchase of these Indonesian
> rainforest timbers must be cancelled. Failure to do so will
> permanently tarnish China and the Olympics' reputation.

Last edited:
Disgraceful!

I have already sent an e-mail to the Chinese Olympics Committee with relevant CCs voicing my objections. It didn't take me long to do as all the relevant info can be found on the links shown above. The more objections they receive the more they will have to take notice!

Last edited:
Another e-mail sent.

Aren't the Olympics great? A new site for every Games, and a colossal amount of resources and land used to make buildings and infrastructure that won't get used once the event is over.

China's "Green Games" label would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic. I'm sure they'll have a pair of giant Giant Pandas chewing on faux bamboo at the opening cermony, though.

Adam

Done and do you want me to sharpen my trusty sword(i am angry) Steve.Shame to destroy a forest so that human kind can come to-gather in peace for the games. :C

e-mail sent.

Has anybody seen any press coverage about this? I've seen nothing, which is a bit worrying - it's the sort of thing I would have expected the media to pick up on.

Adrian

China hardly cares about wildlife and nature outside its own country. Just another, of many signs which shows that.

Plans to destroy forest to builds things for the OS is just as stupid as it can be, these things just make me so angry :C

Colin,
Yes exactly! It is always just such a heart-wringing subject and happens everywhere on this poor abused earth and will continue to happen. We have long passed the point where anyone with half a noodle might buy into the ridiculous oxymoron "sustainable development". There are just too many people on the earth, and it is ever more difficult that we members of the western culture, having already mucked up our own ecosystems, will be paid attention to by those aspiring to attain the same standard of living. All of it is non sustainable!

"There are just too many people on the earth, ......... All of it is non sustainable!"

In a nutshell Steve.

Colin

The IOC .. Int. Olympic Council ..can't be ignorant of this..or are they in ostrich mode.
Surely they have some influence on the Chinese Olympic Council...like that next summer/winter Olympics down the road.
Guys..press all the buttons .
Have sent my protest email.
Any email protest site to the IOC..to uphold that Olympics charter..

Remo

Mark Bruce said:
Anyone have an update on this ?
Hi Mark,

The most recent story via Google News is from the 12th of May - http://www.commondreams.org/news2006/0512-07.htm

Trawling through conservation/activist sites may find more recent data; web-Googling brings up a few more recent pleas eg:-
http://www.eng.walhi.or.id/kampanye/hutan/konversi/060518_2008olympics_mr/
http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/forests/merbau/
and a report on the increase in China's imports of timber in the first quarter of 2006:-
http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0521-china.html

Unfortunately, I'm getting a high number of time-outs for other sites that are listed (conspiracy theory anyone?).

Cheers,

Andy.

I just received this via email - none of the links work for me, maybe the server(s) are down? Are they working for anyone?

EcologicalInternet said:
Subject: RAINFOREST ALERT UPDATE: Chinese Olympic Committee Must Independently Prove Olympic Torch Not Burning World's Rainforests

ACTION ALERT UPDATE PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY!

Chinese Olympic Committee Must Independently Prove Olympic Torch Not Burning World's Rainforests

By Rainforest Portal, a project of Ecological Internet, Inc.
http://www.RainforestPortal.org/
June 11, 2006

TAKE ACTION
Beijing Olympics 2008: Destroying Papua's Ancient Rainforests to Raise the Olympic Torch
http://www.rainforestportal.org/alerts/send.asp?id=olympic_timber

In April of 2006, Ecological Internet alerted the world to plans by the Chinese Olympic Committee to destroy ancient Papuan rainforests in Indonesia to construct facilities for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Since then our network has sent over one million protest emails to Chinese and Olympic officials, which even the authoritative Chinese government has been unable to ignore. In response the Chinese Olympic Committee has offered vague assurances that construction companies have "specifically prohibited the use of virgin timber". But no independent proof is provided to back up these dubious promises. A country that hides the truth about Tiananmen Square and human rights is certainly capable of misleading regarding holding a "Green" Olympics. Chinese denial of using ancient rainforest timbers is therefore not credible without independent inspections and monitoring that verify this is in fact the case. Given the tawdry state of China's own forests and the reality of huge imports of endangered timbers to meet domestic demand, it is highly unlikely construction of this scale (estimated to require millions of cubic meters of timber) could occur without using ancient rainforest timbers. The Chinese government and Olympic committee must commit to independent inspection to prove their claims. Otherwise the reputation of China and the Olympics will be irreparably tarnished. This campaign has only just begun.
Please take action now and widely forward the alert at:

http://www.rainforestportal.org/alerts/send.asp?id=olympic_timber

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back