• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Montana--all vesper sparrows? (1 Viewer)

montanawildlives

I've grouped these to the best of my (weak) ability as likely vesper sparrows mostly based on the brown shoulder patch and white eye ring, possibly also beak structure and size, but some of them look so different from the others that I am having a hard time reaching a reasonably certain level of confidence that they hang together as a species.

Thanks!

DSC_2287.jpg

DSC_2313.jpg

DSC_2767.jpg

DSC_6471.jpg

DSC_6958.jpg

DSC_7494.jpg

DSC_8080.jpg

DSC_8726.jpg

DSC_9397.jpg

I think they all look good for Vesper Sparrow. The differences in appearance may be due to differences in lighting and photo artifacts.

Another good field mark for Vesper is the cheek patch, showing a dark outline and pale center.

Aren't there a few American sparrows that show that? - song sparrow for starters - and buntings.
Yes and no. Sibley does show that Song Sparrow has similar markings. I couldn't see it on either of the Song Sparrows at my feeders this morning. I think even if some Song Sparrows do show it, it is not near as obvious as Vesper Sparrow, especially since Sibley, Kaufman, and others highlight auricular pattern as a good field mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back