• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Sandpiper or Dunlin (2 Viewers)

mcdunn

Dominican Republic
Hello. I have this birding spot in the north coast of the Dominican Republic where I observe shorebirds. The problem is sometimes there are so many hiding in beach debris that I have to take photos as to get a better assessment of species present. Many times I find 3 to 4 species missed from photos. I have one bird that I am not sure if it is a Western Sandpiper or a Dunlin and I only found after looking at photos. Not the greatest photo as it is cropped from larger image. The bird in question is in center to the right of the Ruddy Turnstone (ebird checklist S122554020). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC06799_cr.JPG
    DSC06799_cr.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC06808_cr.JPG
    DSC06808_cr.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 293
Looks too small for dunlin (it's about the size of the semipalmated plovers and the semipalmated sandpiper at right). American dunlins tend to have stupidly-long bills rather than this sort of length. So... (y)

Looks too small for dunlin (it's about the size of the semipalmated plovers and the semipalmated sandpiper at right). American dunlins tend to have stupidly-long bills rather than this sort of length. So... (y)
Maybe you are right. I thought it looked bigger than your interpretation, and also that the tip of the bill was hidden behind the Turnstone's head.

I can't make this into anything other than a dunlin. The bills of Western sands I've seen have been very different and much shorter. It's clearly not a curlew sand so...

That is a very strong supercilium for a Dunlin. I agree that it appears quite small for Dunlin as well. Not sure what else it could be though...

Thank you all for the insights. The observation of this bird was made during the period we get migrants that are passing through or staying here during the northern winter (11/17/22). Birds arriving here are really skinny. Dunlins, however, are rare in the Caribbean (only 3 ebird sightings for the Dominican Republic). I had not considered the Curlew Sandpiper which I believe is slightly smaller, but again, a very rare bird in the Caribbean (no sightings in the Dominican Republic). What would one look for in discounting Curlew Sandpiper in nonbreeding plumage?

Same size as the semipalmated sand and similar size but slighter than the semipalmated plovers should make this a Western. I’ve only ever seen a dunlin that size once in 35+ yrs and they’re v common here in the U.K., sometimes in v large numbers.

Here is a photo showing Stilt Sand with Semi Plover. Notice the plover is behind making it look a little smaller.
comparison P1240244.JPG

Semi Plover weighs about 47 grams, Stilt Sand from 50-70 (data from birds of the world). That means that the body size of a smaller Stilt Sand is about the same as the plover.

Niels

Here is a photo showing Stilt Sand with Semi Plover. Notice the plover is behind making it look a little smaller.
View attachment 1491663

Semi Plover weighs about 47 grams, Stilt Sand from 50-70 (data from birds of the world). That means that the body size of a smaller Stilt Sand is about the same as the plover.

Niels
Wow, I never thought of these two as being in a similar size class, but it is a compelling explanation here. The bill of the question bird does look pretty good for a Stilt Sandpiper. I’m inclined to buy that. Nothing else makes more sense in my opinion.

I still favour this being a Dunlin but it is interesting how different people see different things in the photos, especially as regards size. To me it looks a Dunlin-sized bird relative to the Semi-p Plovers (assuming they are Ringed Plover size) so that would suggest it is too big for a Western. Yet to others it looks the same size as the Semi-p Sandpiper - that would surely rule out Stilt Sandpiper which is quite a big bird.

I would tend to agree that this bird seems to small for a Stilt Sandpiper, also they are quite long legged so I would expect one to be noticeably taller than the surrounding species, unless it is standing in a hole ;)

I would tend to agree that this bird seems to small for a Stilt Sandpiper, also they are quite long legged so I would expect one to be noticeably taller than the surrounding species, unless it is standing in a hole ;)
True, but they tend to seek out spots with deeper water ...
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back