• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (3 Viewers)

Not posted on here for a while but had an amazing start to 2024 so thought id share,

7th Jan - I stopped in at Broadwood Loch and got the Male Smew thats been hanging about there at around 12:45 then headed to Glasgow Botanics for a wee walk along the Kelvin with my girlfriend around 14:00 to be surprised by a very friendly Male Kingfisher that sat meters away from me and even caught a fish!

9th Jan - I decided to go a long walk rather than drive this day and so headed up over the hill house path (Helensburgh) to Glen Fruin for sunrise, few song birds heard in the woods for the first leg of the journey before heading up the hill where it opens up a bit where I was welcomed by a Female kestrel hunting along the wall/fence with the sun rising behind her (tad too dark for photos unfortunately) continuing upwards there was lots of Stonechats, Robins, Chaffinches and a flock of Goldfinch in the patch of trees on the hill then behind those trees a familiar movement.. Female Hen Harrier swooping around hunting for whatever dares to move too slow. Sat and watched the Hen Harrier for a while spinning back and forth to watch the sunrise and keep an eye on where she was before I continued walking only to look back 10 minutes later and see she was crossing the path where I was stood aint that typical! In Glen Fruin now walking along the road I feel like something is watching me from a field, turns out to be 2 Grey Herons that were either resting or hunting for frogs/voles in the long grass but not all to bothered by me thankfully and a Male Hen Harrier hunting the hillside behind them. Walked all the way through and not too much seen outwith the usual Raven, Carrion Crow, Hooded Crow, Magpie, Gulls before getting to the little bridge over the burn and turning to head back where I spotted a Buzzard hopping along the mole hills in the field so stood just off the road taking photos of it when it flew onto a fence post just infront of me then back into a tree where a second one appeared and both flew over me just meters above my head and landed on another fence post at the opposite side of the road but still incredibly close to me unbothered by my prescence so lots of close clear shots before they flew on their way. walking back I spotted a heard of Red Deer on the hillside so stopped for a few distant photos of those which I was happy to see was a bachelor group of around 20 Stags. Heading back over the hill out of Glen Fruin I spotted the Hen Harrier in roughly the same spot as a few hours prior so picked a spot off the path and waited watching her dance about hoping she would fly closer to me, looking around as I was waiting 4 Buzzards were circling above the hill behind me and a Kestrel passed by then just before the sun set I took one last look around and a Peregrine flying close to the ground passes over the hillside behind me so a good end to the day since the Hen Harrier decided to go the opposite way from me.

13th Jan - The start of my 2 weeks off work woo! I headed into Glen Fruin again for a short visit this day before I headed to Gartocharn to see the White-Fronted Geese that have been hanging around there (seen around 113)and then onto my works night out. Drove in so parked and then walked up the hill house path towards Helensburgh to where I seen the Hen Harrier previously and ofcourse there she is hunting away as a Kestrel watches on from the trees and Ravens flying over the hills shouting at the Red Deer Stag with his 2 women below which ofcourse I took the opportunity to sneak up the hill for some good photos of them as they were on the crest of the hill with only sky behind them. A few Buzzards and Kestrels seen throughout the Glen but not much else this day.

15th Jan - Not announcing todays location but it was a good day out, Started off the day sorting photos and editing but got bored so headed out a drive and stopped to go a short walk... well what was supposed to be a short walk lol. nice easy going walk not much seen then at the top of a 650m+ hill 2 Golden Eagles woo but this is where it goes up(down)hill as only got a few distant photos so I decided why not go up this hill in the chances of getting some closer photos if they return. Not done alot of hillwalking as been kinda lazy since I got the car so wasnt my smartest move but stopping every so often I made it up, now halfway up though I was sat down nice and quiet enjoying the view, 6th sense kicked in and said time to keep heading so I stood up turned round and a Female Hen Harrier dives on its prey just 10 meters up the hill from me! came up unsuccessful but also ignoring me continuing to work her way along and then down the hill but that was some thrill. Once at the top the sun was beginning to set so I took some time to scan my surroundings in the hopes of seeing the Eagles or any other mountainous wildlife but nothing so photos of the sunset and surrounding mountains as far as I could see before heading along the ridge to the smaller hill to head down before dark. Had just got to the smaller hill when I look up and there it is a Golden Eagle less than 50m infront of me in the fading light I sat down and started taking photos only for the 2nd one to pass over my head by about 5m and that certainly made my day, unfortunately not the best photos as the sun had set and light had faded but an incredible experience all the same, watched them as they circled above me for 10-15minutes being harassed by a Raven then off they went following the same route I had seen them take that made me come up the hill. Was dark by the time I made it down and back to the car but 100% worth it.

17th Jan - Had a plan today to get 2 German Military aircraft at Glasgow Airport so off I went, parking up I see some birds in the bushes which turned out to be Chaffinches, Magpie, Blackbird and Song Thrush which I seen were all feeding in the Field behind so I walked around and sat down in the field away without disturbing them and started getting a few photos when I see something I hadnt seen before, some Tree Sparrows munching away then up onto the hedgerow to pose for photos in the sun. off round to get the aircraft departing now at the other end of the runway (South West) and see 2 Buzzards and a Kestrel over there. That was it for the airport but decided to stop somewhere on the way home, driving up the road I see a Buzzard flying along the wall so park up and walk back along the road. Walking along the road I didnt see the buzzard but in this random field a Female Hen Harrier swooshing about so I stood watching her for a bit when a Female Sparrowhawk catches my eye as she passes by but making me lose track of the Hen Harrier so I decided she may have gone uphill and off up another hill I go. Halfway up this hill I see some Red Deer to my right and a bird flying just above the crest then disappearing again on my left so must be her right? keep walking up then the bird makes its appearance again, A Short-Eared Owl! another first for me and I was ecstatic so kept heading up watching this Owl so I wasnt disturbing it when I see it be joined by a 2nd Short-Eared Owl and a Kestrel as they all circle fighting over a Vole one of the SEOs had caught now I wasnt expecting this but the Kestrel managed to get away with the steal and sat on a fence post eating it for 5 minutes. Kept going up the hill now as I had lost track of the SEOs and I feel bad for this but I was constantly looking around then 5meters infront of me up pops a SEO that had probably been watching me walking up looking around out of breathe waiting for me to see it sitting there in the Golden Hour light then thought nah hes blind so off it went giving me a heart attack in the process... but surprisingly it wasnt too bothered and just went back to hunting just a bit further over the hill from me next to the other one and both went about their hunting so I dont feel as bad but still annoyed I disturbed the poor thing. Anyway I got some good photos of its butt as it flew away and then as it Hunted over the hill a bit with a photobomber in the background which 2 people on here just confirmed to me was a Golden Eagle so 2 for 1 in those photos and another great spot for the day. Got to the top of the hill and there was a herd of around 18 Red Deer in the distance but no sign of the Eagle at this point which is why I wasnt 100% it was one. Watched the sunset before starting to head back down, had a look around to see where the SEOs were and they were both over to the left in the seperate field so I started heading knowing I wouldnt disturb them again if I stuck to the fence, taking photos of them as I went down they were a joy to watch as they hunted then every so often would clash paths and have a little fight before continuing to hunt. Lost track of them for a bit as they went over the hill then one catches my eye coming towards me and getting higher with a big catch in its talons and a Kestrel in tow so I stood still getting photos of it and it started eating on the wing which was amazing to see but im assuming was so that the Kestrel couldnt get away with a full steal again, now this is where it got funny as they kept circling getting higher and higher then I could no longer see them they became so small in the sky but the Kestrel was determined and kept going up just alot slower than the SEO which made it kinda funny for me to watch from below without a stake in the fight. Went quiet for a bit after that until I was halfway down and seen a SEO hopping fence posts further down the hill from me. Now there is only one way down so I had to keep going but every 10 steps I took the SEO would hop another fence post even with me saying im not gonna bother you Owl just stay there and Ill pass on by but nope this continued until there was only 5 more posts to go for it even though I was still about 300m away and the the 2nd SEO came out chasing it along the hillside. Got down the hill without any further issues and 5 min from the car 3 Woodcock fly by me over the road then car in sight what flys over my head? The 2 SEOs in pitch darkness at this point so not viable for photos but I could have jumped and grabbed them they came that close so I stood and watched them as they flew around above me and I seen the moon behind so tried to focus on it with the camera hoping one would fly between the lens and it, they werent for playing along though flew a circle around the moon just to wind me up! got some video on my phone since it was the only option I had at this point before they vanished again and I headed home for the night :)

If anyone read all this then I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and will post again tomorrow the 18th(my Birthday) if I get lucky enough in the morning to see the SEOs, Golden Eagle or anything else exciting as I am definitely getting up early and heading back there in the hopes of seeing them in the rising sun light.

Well done with the close encounters with the Golden Eagles. I've only seen them as distant birds in Scotland, but had similar views to you in northern Spain last October which was one of the highlights of my week there.

Well I can wish you Happy Birthday now Michael, as it's "tomorrow" already. Hope you get your presents LOL

Well done with the close encounters with the Golden Eagles. I've only seen them as distant birds in Scotland, but had similar views to you in northern Spain last October which was one of the highlights of my week there.
Was certainly an experience I was hoping for but not expecting to actually happen, will stick with me as one of those great days thats for sure, Im trying to decide on a holiday abroad for this year or next that I can sneak some good birding in lol, Skye and Mull are great for Eagles just depends on your luck when there though same with anywhere.

Sounds great Michael! I was at Loch Lomond Shores today in shockingly low temperatures. I'd hoped to catch a Long-tailed Duck but I was out of luck on that one. I did manage 7 new Balloch ticks though and one cracking closeup encounter with a Lesser Redpoll feeding on the ground right in front of me, probably the best ever view I've had.

Attachments

• Lesser Redpoll-DSC04167.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
Happy belated Birthday,Michael.Shall you be posting your photos of a fantastic time ?
Thank you :) I posted a few on my Twitter and Instagram if you want to have a look :) Im a little too organised when it comes to the sorting of photos on the PC and so trailing through the hundreds/thousands of photos in each folder to pick out the best ones and put them in seperate ones is a challenge for another day lol

https://x.com/michaeljwc626/status/1747693548957225032?s=46&t=z707Iz38aSGi5s9Oi3s25w

Sounds great Michael! I was at Loch Lomond Shores today in shockingly low temperatures. I'd hoped to catch a Long-tailed Duck but I was out of luck on that one. I did manage 7 new Balloch ticks though and one cracking closeup encounter with a Lesser Redpoll feeding on the ground right in front of me, probably the best ever view I've had.
Nice i got a glimpse of a Redpoll the other day when I was there I think but was a very fast unreliable ID so didnt count it, cracking photo you got though :) think the Long-Tailed Ducks have been sticking to the sea so far, did see one at Linlithgow Loch (West Lothian) just after Christmas though.

Went back up the hill again this morning but no luck other than some Ravens, Buzzards and Kestrels flying around in the 5 hours I was up there wandering around following the Bachelor group of around 30 Stags which had a good variety atleast from more mature stags down to what looked like ones from this year as they were around half the size.

There's been a Long-tailed Duck at Castle Semple Loch for 6-8 weeks now, although I've only been down twice in that time and haven't seen it yet.

I have photos of the Long-tailed Duck that visited Lomond Shores last year or the year before that. It was found in the sheltered area right up beside the aquarium building, so very easy to see. Haven't had a chance to go back this year yet as the weather hasn't been great - waiting for a dry day. Is the Mandarin Duck still around? I've not seen that yet.

There's been a Long-tailed Duck at Castle Semple Loch for 6-8 weeks now, although I've only been down twice in that time and haven't seen it yet.

I have photos of the Long-tailed Duck that visited Lomond Shores last year or the year before that. It was found in the sheltered area right up beside the aquarium building, so very easy to see. Haven't had a chance to go back this year yet as the weather hasn't been great - waiting for a dry day. Is the Mandarin Duck still around? I've not seen that yet.
That's where I was looking but sadly that little bay was frozen, at one point a female Goldeneye flew in to land and had to bank sharply and turn around.

Mandarins have been spotted again in the last few weeks at the usual spot near the slipway, think that long-tailed was there both years? I definitely got it the previous year atleast
That's where I was looking but sadly that little bay was frozen, at one point a female Goldeneye flew in to land and had to bank sharply and turn around.
If youre really wanting Long-Tailed ducks I was at Musselburgh Lagoons yesterday and seen 6 but lots more been seen on other days, got a male and female very close to the sea wall and a female on the lagoon itself next to a shoveler then the rest were seen flying further out in the distance.

We've had some minging weather this month, so I've only managed my first day out today at Lochwinnoch.

The scrapes were flooded so not a lot to be seen directly in front of the visitor centre. Also the path along Barr Loch looks like it had been completely under water during the storms this week. A lot of the waterside vegetation has been pushed, almost rolled, right up to the path, and partway along, the path has been completely blocked (see photo below). The water was sitting only a couple of centimetres below the path and I hope a few days of dry weather will see the water recede some more. Two small trees were partly blown over and blocking one of the paths at Aird Meadow.

GE2irzxWMAEVqIw

Highlights of this visit include a single Lapwing, lots of Goldeneye, seven Whooper Swans, more than 30 Mute Swans. There were a lot of geese around, mainly Canada and Greylag, but I saw four Pink-footed Geese flying over Barr Loch. Along at the boardwalk, I felt lucky in actually seeing a Water Rail, but then a few seconds later I saw another, before it quickly skulked under some vegetation. A single Raven was around this area, and I also saw a Red-throated Diver flying over - not a bird I thought I'd ever see there, but it didn't look like it had any intention of stopping and it was one of those blink or you'll miss it moments.

Lots of Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Great Tits and Chaffinches around, as well as Robins, Blackbirds, Nuthatch and a couple of Treecreepers. I'm sure some of these smaller woodland birds will be winter visitors, but there were no obvious winter thrushes around.

Edit: just looked at my notes and it turned out the Water Rail as well as the Red-throated Diver were firsts for Lochwinnoch for me. Water Rails are reported by many people though the year and I'm sure I've heard them there before, but the only one I actually saw before was at Baron's Haugh. This brings my sightings for Lochwinnoch to 94.

Last edited:
Just remembered that there was a woman from the SSPCA with a pole trying to usher a Mute Swan from/to somewhere in a field at the village of Lochwinnoch. I'm assuming someone must have called them out concerned for its wellbeing, but when I came by 10 minutes later the woman had gone and the swan was still in the field, so I'm assuming it was alright.

When she was trying to guide it with her pole, it remained quite regal with its neck arched tightly as if to say I'm not really sure about this but I'll go along with it anyway. I like how swans don't really take any notice of people.

Does anyone know if Longhaugh Point near Bishopton is accessible via public transport? I don't mean you can get dropped off right at the point, but where is the closest bus stop/train station from where you can walk to the site?

Does anyone know if Longhaugh Point near Bishopton is accessible via public transport? I don't mean you can get dropped off right at the point, but where is the closest bus stop/train station from where you can walk to the site?
I've done this from Bishopton train station, use Ferry Road to cross the mway then an immediate left and follow the track past the golf club. You can also access just a bit further along if you carry straight on at Dove Cottage although when I did this I think the tide was in and you couldn't walk along the water edge to the Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back