• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Tanager?? (1 Viewer)

jimtfoto

Hello all:
Western Tanager was the best I could come up with for the attached. It is well out of its range here in Southern Ontario, but it is listed as a "rare" visitor in Sibleys and an "occasional" visitor in an Ontario bird book, which says there have been many reports, but few confirmed sightings.
It is much larger than Yellow Warbler and a bit bigger than American Goldfinch. There was a noticeable orangish-red tinge to the crown.
Any other ideas would be most welcome.

cheers,
jim

Attachments

• _MG_9916.jpg
    _MG_9916.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 106
  • _MG_9923.jpg
    _MG_9923.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 105
hi jim,

sorry, i don't know what your bird is, but it's not of the tanager-genus. bill is much more finch-like (conical) and the upper mandibule is black. a guess would be an escaped canary.

It's colored more like a immature male Summer Tanager but as Lou points out the bill is wrong for a tanager. Some type of exotic for sure. Beautiful bird though.

Thanks for the ID and the link, JanJ ... I googled Saffron Finch and came up with similiar pix.
Looks like it's an escapee.

cheers,
jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back