• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird has a white bar on the underside? (1 Viewer)

LifeIsGood2

Show-Me Missouri
I saw a soaring bird today here in Missouri, USA. I looked at it for a couple of minutes, but I do not know what it is. Again, new at birding!

What really stood out was a white bar on the wing about a third of the way from the tip, maybe less. It mostly soaring without flapping, but it did turn side to side somewhat making it seem like maybe the underside had a little rust color but I am not sure. When I looked at my field guide, it seemed like it was a nighthawk, but this was 10 O'clock in the morning! It soared very high like maybe it is a vulture/buzzard. Does anyone have any ideas or photos? Wings were horizontal, I think except it did angle downward for the tip of the wings. I cannot remember anything significant about the tail.

Any photos or ideas on what this bird likely was?

I also saw either a downy or hairy woodpecker. I do not know which one.

Red-Shouldered Hawk maybe? They are known for having translucent white "crescents" near the wingtips. See here for instance. Rusty barring on the breast also matches your description.

Pretty sure nighthawks wouldn't be in your area in winter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back