• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (4 Viewers)

These past weeks have been really amazing over here with the Spring migration. I've seen species I've never seen before, and others that are really hard to spot (like the collared flycatcher). Today I've seen three cuckoos (and actually learned that there is a rufous morph, which I didn't know existed), but oddly enough, after seeing an oriole (quite rare around here), what has really struck me is one of the most common birds of the Spanish/European Summertime: the stork. Yes, nothing too fancy, but when you live in a place where they don't stop (let alone breed), the sight of a stork is something to behold. But then, I guess that's why we watch birds :)

Stork_Ibiza.jpeg

Nothing so far today, but yesterday I saw two Great Horned Owls for the first time in two years. Also saw my first Varied Thrush of the year. Using my 7s. Also, had a really cool experience watching three swans flying directly overhead.

Male and female Kestrels in courtship? They went into a clinch and spiralled down before releasing about a metre above ground. The routine was repeated.
I knew that some eagles do this but was unaware of this behaviour in falcons.
Later I heard an unfamiliar call before seven or eight parakeets flew off. There is a colony of about 2000 Rose-ringed Parakeets in Cologne, which are often seen or heard, but I assume that these birds were the Alexandrine parakeets, of which there is also a small colony. No-one expected either species to survive the cold winters, which prevailed into the 2000s, but they seem to have thrived.

John

Today in 5 minuts has flied over my home a common buzzard, a young golden eagle, a kestrel a peregrine falcon, a sparrowhawk and a unknown raptor, a female harrier i think. Verry good. Opticron verano 8x32

There is a tulip tree in our local cemetery, When it was in bloom about three or four years ago I spotted a male Pied Flycatcher. I had not seen another until today, and then in the very same tree!
It was not the same bird. The first bird was black and white, today's bird also a male was brown and white, probably a one-year-old.
I can't believe this was a coincidence, but what is the attraction of tulip trees for Pied Flycatchers? Perhaps that the trees are pollinated by beetles?

John

I watched a Great Blue Heron standing in shallow water for several minutes this morning before it speared through the eye of a flatfish. First time seeing this happen in front of me.

Hello,

I got to see my first field sparrow of the year, in my building's garden!

Stay safe,
Arthur

Field sparrow.jpg
Image by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York by Eaton, 1912-1914.

Last edited:
Male and female Blackbirds both taking food to their first fledged brood of the year, hiding in various places in our Hawthorn hedge.

Lee

At an artificial pond some 30 mins drive outside town, a Whimbrel (only my third or fourth, one of which was in Australia!), Ruffs, Common Sandpipers, Wood Sandpipers, Little Ringed Plovers, Lapwings with chicks and several songbird species including a Whinchat.

John

Back to the Bald eagle nest.

Saw a glimpse of a (the?) chick, which stuck its head up once or twice, and it was waving its wings around. No flight feathers on the wings.

Head is still covered with dark fuzz.

A beautiful photo.

I like the texture of the tree bark, and the similarity of coloring of owl and tree.
Thank you, Maljunulo. They're really difficult to make out unless you can see their silhouette against the sky. Good to have a pair of bins. I think the Noctivid is named after the Little Owl, isn't it? Very apt.

One Pied-billed Grebe (a big surprise) two male wood Ducks, one Turkey Vulture (perched, at about 50 meters/yards) one American Kestrel, one probable Red-tailed Hawk, two female Common Mergansers (another surprise) a glimpse of a gliding Common Raven, and the usual assortment of Mallards, Canada and Cackling Geese, Red-winged Blackbirds, oh, and a couple of Purple Grackles. Also a Double-crested Cormorant which I forgot about.

I checked the Bald Eagle nest, and it looks as if Junior is no longer on baby food. The adult on the nest was obviously tearing something into pieces, so I presume it was feeding junior. That is a guess, though.

A very enjoyable 3+ hours.

2 Rose breasted Grosbeaks at back yard feeder-first time in 43 years living here to see them,
last year had 3 pairs of Painted Buntings-first time also.

edj

The high point was an Eastern Towhee, a bird I have not seen in years. I don't think they are especially uncommon, I just don't usually go where they are.

Three different beautiful pairs of Wood Ducks in full color, a Common Raven, A Double-crested Cormorant, An Eastern Bluebird, a Great Blue Heron, a Yellow Warbler, and two Muskrats. (I don't think it was the same one twice) A small woodpecker, Downy or Hairy, Red-winged Blackbirds, one of which was female, and a Baltimore Oriole. I think that's everything of significance.

A pretty good trip, considering a slow start, to the point where I thought it was going to be a flop.

Saw my first Eurasian Hobby today. To make it even better the Hobby was hunting for swifts and house martins which made for a really spectacular air show.

yesterday I saw my first (and 2nd!) Baltimore Oriole. That was awesome.

People often take an interest in me, or rather, what I'm looking at, when they see me in the park. It's always been friendly. Yesterday, when I was enjoying a fantastic view of the oriole pair, an elderly man started mocking me for looking at birds - shouting from a distance at first, then waving his hands and laughing at me when walking by. I pray I forget that detail of my first ever oriole sighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back