• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (3 Viewers)

Most interesting sight with binoculars TODAY was a beautiful bobcat, carrying a rabbit dinner in his mouth as he crossed my property for the wooded area - to eat!

I do see bobcats, often, on my property, but not with dinner hanging from their jaws.

Here's a mom with her cubs stopping by one of my water bowls. My binoculars are engaged much of the day, every day, on my property.

51242862551_8de4a9df2e_h.jpg

Most interesting sight with binoculars TODAY was a beautiful bobcat, carrying a rabbit dinner in his mouth as he crossed my property for the wooded area - to eat!

I do see bobcats, often, on my property, but not with dinner hanging from their jaws.

Here's a mom with her cubs stopping by one of my water bowls. My binoculars are engaged much of the day, every day, on my property.

51242862551_8de4a9df2e_h.jpg
A fabulous sighting and this is such lovely photograph!
Arijit

I came over to Keoladeo Ghana National Park. The rains have been good and the marshes are green. Saw a flaovk of Garganey Teals- quite early to arrive it seems. The Painted Stork Heronry is thriving - saw 150-200 active nests.
A male Sarus on nest was a glorious sight. When it stood up and flapped its wings - 2 glistening eggs!
My day was made.
PS: Saw one SLC 8x42, one Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42 a small Bushnell - 8x 32 maybe - probably an H2O and a 8X30 CL B
Arijit

Last edited:
The Sunday morning outing was to a peri-urban patch outside Jaipur. Cloudy morning with intermittent drizzles. The first interesting sighting was a Pied Bushchat and it was chased off by a Variable Wheatear. A Grey Bellied Cuckoo was singing away. The Black Francolin males were vocal and one of them walked out from a bush and scampered into another on seeing us.
A nearby hillock had a pair of beautiful Indian Eagle Owls. Nightjars were aplenty and a small parliament of Spotted Owlets looked at us with disdain. A single Red-headed Bunting was indeed5E7D5B8D-5BAD-40A8-90CB-07811D6542D0.jpeg a great sight but it flew away before we could take a photograph. Hoopoes, Black-rumped Flameback Woodpeckers and a juvenile Indian Golden Oriole were the more nice looking of the birds seen. A pair of marvellously camouflaged Painted Sandgrouse allowed us a few photographs. A hepatic morph female Grey-bellied Cuckoo was on a wire far away. Lots of Common Babblers and flocks of young Rosy Starlings. Also saw two Eurasian Wrynecks. Migration has started.
ArijitA47BF023-F98F-4B61-9EA4-96AF0009A8CC.jpeg6A8C7794-88E9-495A-8784-F68EB0737039.jpegE06E1D5B-3588-4F93-9C4D-1088ABACC6D9.jpegCACD5A05-9F2D-40CA-BA44-BF57E539D4D9.jpeg

your all's pictures are amazing. Mine, well, they're good for evidence of the sighting and memories but not likely for framing... still, my wife and I saw some great birds today through our binos. (merlin eating a house sparrow on post; pileated woodpecker on suet feeder on the porch!)

1A772FEE-70C8-4091-BE04-DB88282F433D.jpegD58E1781-B466-46C8-BBB6-0CF6E64C53C0.jpeg

It's all relative! I have only seen a merlin once myself - they are not at all common in London!

I really would have liked to have been able to see the bird in your photo - I can imagine how all the exquisite feather details must have looked at that range!

It's all relative! I have only seen a merlin once myself - they are not at all common in London!

I really would have liked to have been able to see the bird in your photo - I can imagine how all the exquisite feather details must have looked at that range!
Thanks for that. It was my first Merlin! They’re just passing through my area now for the fall migration. The woodpecker, however, is a regular, and we stop what we’re doing and watch every time she visits.

This morning flied over my house a juv Golden Eagle, a buzzard (that mobbed the Golden Eagle) and 2 Raven all togethet. Verry good

Last edited:
When we say "Buzzard" here in the US, we usually mean Cathartes aura, also called the "Turkey Vulture."

I have no clue which animal folks from Europe are talking about when they say "buzzard."

Last edited:
View attachment 785AA782-FCCD-49CA-84EC-F534E5616BA7.jpeg2A0F5378-C048-4111-8358-91101D1674AC.jpegI was in Bharatpur today. The Parknis lush green and after many years it has rained here good enough and water has filled most of the Marshes.
The day started off with the sun rising and Painted Stork colonies silhouetted. A lovely Darter in the early morning light and a feeding frenzy of Intermediate, Small and Large Egrets.
Loots if Asian Openbill Storks all on nest. The Painted Stork chicks are tiny and the baby Darters are mily white.
Also spent time at a mixed Heronry. Spoonbills, Grey Heron, Intermediate Egrets, Purple Herons, Night Herons all have chicks.
A breeding Intermediate Egret was the show stopper.
The new 8x30 CL Companion performed flawlessly.

Arijit

2A0F5378-C048-4111-8358-91101D1674AC.jpeg

Attachments

• 37A401D4-B92D-4A78-8F53-A9B2B90C2B43.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 4
your all's pictures are amazing. Mine, well, they're good for evidence of the sighting and memories but not likely for framing... still, my wife and I saw some great birds today through our binos. (merlin eating a house sparrow on post; pileated woodpecker on suet feeder on the porch!)

A Merlin on the Kill! That’s a sight indeed. The beat frames are the ones that are burned into the brain.

Arijit

This morning flied over my house a juv Golden Eagle, a buzzard (that mobbed the Golden Eagle) and 2 Raven all togethet. Verry good

Damn... I'd call that better than very good!!!

It was a little strange to read that the buzzard you saw was the bird doing the mobbing, rather than the one being targeted! Here in London we see buzzards regularly, and in a normal year you would see buzzards being mobbed by crows, buzzards being stooped at by peregrines, and every so the poor old buzzard being seen off by other raptors (sparrowhawks, hobbies, kestrels - I have seen buzzards being mobbed very aggressively by kestrels in Madeira).

Do you see honey buzzards in your area? A few pass through London every year, but I've never had the fortune of seeing one (or at least one I was able to identify). London is too far to see rough-legged buzzards, but every so often one will appear during the winter further east, in Norfolk. A couple years back, when visiting family in Singapore, I was lucky enough to see a couple of steppe buzzards (I think) - although even the experts don't quite agree whether the buzzards that pass through Singapore in winter are steppe buzzards, Eastern buzzards or both. They're definitely different to the buzzards you see in the UK though, in shape, size and I think also in style of flight. You have to be so careful when you spot a buzzard-like bird in Singapore, especially at this time of the year, because it could be just a regular oriental honey buzzard, which is a pretty common migrant, or one of the other rarer types of buzzard, or something that looks like a buzzard but isn't. My brother has been fortunate enough to have seen, and gotten a pretty decent photo, of a torquatus honey buzzard, the one that is thought to mimic Blyth's hawk eagle. It's remarkable just how many variations and permutations of buzzards there can be!

😸

We see a few buzzards (Turkey Vultures, we call them) here in Arizona. But tend to see more Harris Hawks. We haven't seen either the Turkey Vultures, nor the Harris Hawks in conflict with any other birds. Of course, when the Hawks swoop down onto our acreage, all the finches, wrens, thrashers, doves, quail, et al that hang out here all day long tend to scatter for a bit.

Here in Colorado harassment of raptors seems common especially by corvids, both in flight (even to the point of physical contact) and around a tree perch, where birds will work their way ever closer. (Any corvids in that Arizona desert?)

Here in Colorado harassment of raptors seems common especially by corvids, both in flight (even to the point of physical contact) and around a tree perch, where birds will work their way ever closer. (Any corvids in that Arizona desert?)
Same for Connecticut.

Crows will mob the local Red-tailed Hawks, and Kingbirds will chase them. I have also seen a Northern Harrier Harass a Red-tailed Hawk who was perched where I presume the Harrier thought was its territory. The Harrier gave up the harassment when The Red-tail took a little hop and made a grab for the Harrier with its talons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back