• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (3 Viewers)

Here in Colorado harassment of raptors seems common especially by corvids, both in flight (even to the point of physical contact) and around a tree perch, where birds will work their way ever closer. (Any corvids in that Arizona desert?)
The only crow-family birds I've seen here are cowbirds (we call them "skells"; they are brood-parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests, sometimes kill the other eggs, and cause the nesting birds to raise their cowbird chicks.) Quite aggressive, though I've never seen them harass any raptors - and I've got a group of quite large Harris Hawks that frequent my acreage daily. The turkey vultures just show up once in a while.

Cowbirds are not considered by many to be very good birds. They have been implicated in the decline of several endangered species. They blow through here during a summer migration, it seems. Often arriving at the feeders in groups of up to twenty or so. Acting like bullies. I don't treat them kindly, is all I'll say. Coyotes and hawks don't mind eating them.

Haven't seen any full blown crows here, though.

Last edited:
On Saturday night I went to a former military training area which is a prime red deer habitat. I spotted a stag through my SLC 10x42, a few red kites, some wild boar and a fox. Here's a photo of the 🦊

Attachments

• NO2_4378instagram.jpg
    NO2_4378instagram.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 10
Thank you very much.

Common names drive me crazy.
You're welcome. The buteo buteo is by far the most common buzzard in central Europe, hence its common name: common buzzard. A much rarer sight is the buteo lagopus, the rough-legged buzzard which is more common in Scandinavian countries than in central Europe. There's also the honey buzzard (pernis apivorus).

Last edited:
Sitting outside yesterday evening on the northern coast of the tip of Ardnamurchan on the west coast of Scotland, 3 skeins of Barnacle Geese totalling around 150 heading south, presumably to Islay for the winter.

Lee

Sitting outside yesterday evening on the northern coast of the tip of Ardnamurchan on the west coast of Scotland, 3 skeins of Barnacle Geese totalling around 150 heading south, presumably to Islay for the winter.

Lee
Even if I were a Barnacle Goose, I'm not sure I would want to spend a winter on Islay, distilleries notwithstanding.

Even if I were a Barnacle Goose, I'm not sure I would want to spend a winter on Islay, distilleries notwithstanding.
I know what you mean. The winters there are long and dark as they all are so far north but the island is gorgeous at that time of year with gold-red hillsides and clear blue-green seas.
Today we had the wonderful experience of a flock of over 100 Brent Geese landing only 25 metres from us and grazing on seaweed then running to have a drink when they discovered the nearby freshwater stream. What lovely little geese they are.

Lee

Not today. It was yesterday and Saturday. I was in Tal Chappar. A grassland with scrubland and saltpans nearby. The winter migration is shaping up and it was raptors galore. The Tawny Eagles and the Laggar Falcons were numerous, as were juvenile White-eyed Buzzards who are ready to migrate east and south. A pair of Booted Eagles (dark morph) kept flying above, as did a lone Indian Spotted Eagle. A couple of Long-legged Buzzards have arrived and were comfortable. Black Kites were numerous. A few Black-winged Kites looked beautiful against the grassy background (Yes- the Swaros fringe a lot :-D)
2 oct 21 tal laggar falcon 2.jpg

3 oct 21 tal white-eyed buzzard 1.jpg

3 oct 21 tal long-legged buzzrrdd 1.jpg

3 oct 21 tal black-winged kite 1.jpg
The Blackbuck were in rut and the males were either locking horns - literally - or sowing their oats, or at least they were trying to, even if the females refused consent.
2 oct 21 tal blackbuck 1.jpg

The good rains have allowed profuse seeding of grass. Enough grasshoppers for the Montagues and Pallid Harriers that have started to arrive. Both the Lesser and Common Kestrels have made the grassland their home.

3 oct 21 tal montagues harrier male 1.jpg

3 oct 21 tal lesser kestrel 1.jpg
3 oct 21 tal common kestrel 2.jpg3 oct 21 tal lesser kestrel 1.jpg3 oct 21 tal common kestrel 2.jpg

An interesting find was a Red Sand Boa that ad caught a Spiny-tailed Lizard. Both had their heads inside the lizard's burrow. The Lizard was attempting to go further, the snake was trying to pull the Lizard out.

IMG_6653.JPG2 oct 21 tal laggar falcon 2.jpg3 oct 21 tal white-eyed buzzard 1.jpg2 oct 21 tal blackbuck 1.jpg3 oct 21 tal montagues harrier male 1.jpgIMG_6653.JPG

Went looking for the Red-necked Phalarope. No sign of it. But did see the White-tailed and Grey-headed Lapwings. The latter is quite uncommon here.

3 oct 21 tal white-taled lapwing 2.jpg3 oct 21 tal white-taled lapwing 2.jpg

3 oct 21 tal grey-headed lapwingg 3.jpg

The European Rollers are now mirating west. Saw a couple. The Indian Rollers looked magnificent.

2 oct 21 tal indian roller 1.jpg2 oct 21 tal indian roller 1.jpg

All in all, two nice days with birds.

Last edited:
I've been working to attract gold finches with my Nyger Seed feeder. Over recent weeks I've seen two, then three, then four. And today, I received a pair of these...

51580461435_63c06afb47_h.jpg

And soon thereafter, I observed and counted EIGHT gold finches at one of my feeders! Thank you, Leica! ;) :)

Today morning it was House Sparrows and Indian Whiteeyes bathing. Every droplet was like a dollop of quicksilver through the CL Companions 32s.
This afternoon, again in Tal Chappar grassland it was raptors galore. Western Matsh Harriers, Montagues Harriers, Pallid Harriers. White-eyed Buzzards, Eurasian and Lesser Kestrels.
After sunset, Venus looked glorious as did Jupiter. Orion’s belt and the sword actually looked nice.

Today morning it was House Sparrows and Indian Whiteeyes bathing. Every droplet was like a dollop of quicksilver through the CL Companions 32s.
This afternoon, again in Tal Chappar grassland it was raptors galore. Western Matsh Harriers, Montagues Harriers, Pallid Harriers. White-eyed Buzzards, Eurasian and Lesser Kestrels.
After sunset, Venus looked glorious as did Jupiter. Orion’s belt and the sword actually looked nice.
What a nice array of raptors you have!

Yes, Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus are all looking great right now, aren't they! I enjoy seeing them every night, when I'm out with the dogs.

What a nice array of raptors you have!

Yes, Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus are all looking great right now, aren't they! I enjoy seeing them every night, when I'm out with the dogs.
Most of these raptors migrate in Winter. Central Asia, Eastern Europe.
Once out of the city, the light, the pollution and particulate dust drops a lot. The skies are so much better to look at. I should be looking up more. 😃

Today morning we woke up to rain. Nonetheless, the skies cleared up quickly. A gorgeous male Lesser Kestrel ( Falco naumani) helped elevate the mood. A pair of White Storks livened up the grasslands. My first sighting!

Ended the trip with a huge Steppe Eagle, three Sub-adult Eastern Imperial Eagles and a couple of very handsome Long-legged Buzzards.

Siskins.
First day with the 8x25 Terra.
This morning, riding my bike back home from town, I've spotted a group of goldfinches on some overgrowth fennel plants. Goldfinches are always a joy, to the eyes, to the ears... such a fantastic bird. There appeared to be some serins in the same group, so I've stopped the bike and grabbed the little Terras from the handlebar bag: and those serins turned out to be siskins! I haven't seen them over here for a couple of years, so it's been a great encounter. I was a bit disappointed with the Terra upon a quick first inspection, but today they have worked as intended: unexpected birding possibility and they've just delivered a great, crisp and sharp view that has allowed a great ID. Such a pleasure to use something for the first time and see a rare bird you haven't seen in a while.

It was Sambhar Lake today. Three Peregrine Falcons (ssp calidus), a Merlin from afar, 2 Eurasian Hobbys, a young Laggar Falcon trying to stare down a young Peregrine Falcon, Greater Flamingos, Brahminy Ducks, Common Teals, Kentish Plovers, Common Cranes, Blue- cheeked Beeeaters and a Bimaculated Lark.
It was the Zeiss FL10x42. Lovely bins.

Arijit

Yesterday again. In the gorge of the Chambal river, near a town called Kota. It was foggy/ misty/ polluted in general. Yet the Swaro 8x30s worked admirably. Picked out an immature Western Marsh harrier- a male. A solitary Great Crested Grebe was a pleasant surprise. As we boated on, we came across among other things, a gorgeous Indian Eagle Owl Bubo bengalensis. The trip went on an a solitary Leopard was sighted beneath a tree on a stone ledge.

A few munchies and then there were Vultures. The rather hard to come by Indian Vultures, Gyps indicus were busy building nests. It was wonderful to see them carry rather delicately small twigs and branches to do up their nests on the ledges above. A few young Eurasian Griffons Gyps gyps kept them company, basking in the sun. A few Egyptian Vultures kept flying above.

A couple of Shikras and a couple of Hobbies were flying above as we chanced upon 2 pairs of Dusky Horned Owls Bubo coromandus. Lovely chaps.
It was getting better by the hour. The Purple and Grey Herons; Whiskered & River Terns, Black-headed Gulls (?) looked lovely in the mist. A solitary Striated Heron looked at us with an annoyed look.

Then there were the Kings. a pair of Bonelli's Eagles Aquila fasciata. Magnificent birds, they were busy repairing what looked like a old nest.

All in all a very fruitful 1/2 a day.

Arijit

With my 10x42SF mounted on a heavy tripod, the Pleiadies star cluster (in the Taurus constellation) looked amazing. It first grabbed my bare eyes, as something interesting and different in the heavens. That prompted me to get the 10x42SF on a heavy tripod for a better look.

51684035169_b401695829_k.jpg

PHOTO: Tony Hallas/Science Faction/Corbis

And, with the 10x42's I could just barely make out Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto - Jupiter's main moons. I couldn't make out the rings around Saturn, though.

This happened a week ago or so, prompting me to get a telescope! Sky Watcher 8" f/5.9 Dobsonian arrived recently and what fun that is. Finally, I laid eyes on Saturn, with it's rings visible in real life/real time. Quite cool! Now, I need a Barlow for my 10mm eyepiece! :LOL: Binocular use drew me into astronomy and telescopes. It never ends, does it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back