• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (21 Viewers)

The yellow eyes are fascinating, unreal almost.
They are. I am in Europe, so I have never seen a Burrowing Owl. It's funny how they resemble the Little Owl. @AlphaFan Did you enhance the yellow a bit in post production?

Here's a photo of a Little Owl in Germany (I posted it in another thread a couple of days ago, that's why the resemblance occurred to me). BTW this is the first owl I spotted with my then new 7x42 UV+. The eyes are not as yellow, though.NO2_9557cv_small.jpg

They are. I am in Europe, so I have never seen a Burrowing Owl. It's funny how they resemble the Little Owl. @AlphaFan Did you enhance the yellow a bit in post production?

Here's a photo of a Little Owl in Germany (I posted it in another thread a couple of days ago, that's why the resemblance occurred to me). BTW this is the first owl I spotted with my then new 7x42 UV+. The eyes are not as yellow, though.View attachment 1490265
If i had to choose which bird i had to be….i would choose to be an Owl 🦉

I just got back from a run on the forest trails above my house. On a spruce branch i saw an tawny owl a few meters away from me. We looked at each other for about a minute then i left without him getting scared. Great

Here's a photo of a Little Owl in Germany (I posted it in another thread a couple of days ago, that's why the resemblance occurred to me). BTW this is the first owl I spotted with my then new 7x42 UV+. The eyes are not as yellow, though.
Went back and made sure the pic attached here has colors untouched from raw image.
EDFF425F-D880-4896-A76C-2B46AB60558C.jpeg

I didn’t realize that Macaws ran around loose in Florida.
There are small, wild-breeding populations of Macaws in South Florida, as well as a slightly larger populations of wild parrots and parakeets. However, it isn't wise to provide too much specific information about where they are found. Unfortunately, since they are non-native, Florida does not protect them and they are subject to poaching. Believe it or not, some unscrupulous people use all types of methods in attempts to capture and sell them as exotic pets.

I didn't really need binoculars for these fellas, they were almost running over my feet. Another group out on the slipway with three Purple Sandpipers darting between them. Apologies for quality of mobile phone snap.

Attachments

• Broadstairs.jpg
    Broadstairs.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
Hawfinch, rare here and usually shy. We waited an hour for him to arrive at the small stand of hornbeam trees then watched him feeding on seeds for about an hour, "resplendent in the winter sun".

Several Short-eared owls and Hen harriers (both male and female) on agricultural land at dusk between 4.30 pm and 6.30 pm.
All the Hen harriers were observed in low-level flight and the best view of a Short-eared owl was of a bird sitting in the field, where my Kowa 883 offered the best compromise of magnification and brightness at 35x.
It was overcast and in failing light on the way back to the car I saw another owl in flight through my Swarovski 8x56 SLC, where I had not expected to discern anything. A binocular cannot of course improve brightness but with such large exit pupils there is often the uncanny impression of turning on a light.
Birders there with a Braunschweig (Brunswick) number plate had presumably travelled 350 km for the twitch!

John

This morning I was watching a sparrowhawk on top of a fir tree. When it left I followed it with my binoculars and saw a goshawk further up. Following the goshawk at some point two buzzards also entered in the fov. Great observation made with opticron Aurora the favourite of my binoculars

Today I observed a goshawk hunting from the backyard. I think it was a male that swooped down on a collared dove almost like a falcon. Then he chased it around some trees and finally again in the open field. Eventually the collared dove managed to escape. The goshawk is one of my favourite birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back