• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (23 Viewers)

Everything eats bunny rabbits or mice.
poor little guys - they are the fodder of the natural world! They seem to exist to turn grass and seeds into meat.

I've had some excellent views of bobolinks the last 2 days. The warbler migration seems slow here this year, they are just not around in the typical numbers. But yesterday I was greeted by a flock of two dozen+ boblinks on my visit to a local park. It's amazing to watch what happens when they get together in numbers - they start flocking together and showing all sorts of interesting social and play behaviors.

There are two big parcels of hayfields that were old farms acqured by the town and turned into parks in Amesbury, Massachusetts. One is 300 acres of open hayfields, the other 500, and the town finally agreed to stop mowing until later in the summer, the bobolink population has exploded as a result. One of my favorite birds!

We have/had Natrix sipedon here, but the splitters decided it should be in a different genus. (Nerodia)

A thoroughly ill-tempered creature, with a really nasty disposition.

Last edited:
Currently in the south of France on vacation and I saw a pair of seagulls with 3 chickens. The small ones were all sleeping on a roof. No nest. Never saw anything like it. So cute. If they do the same thing tomorrow, I have to take a picture.

Is that an eagle owl nesting in that cavity in the rocks? Very cool!!!
Yes, it is. In Germany, they usually nest in rocks, except for a population in the North where they are ground-nesting due to a lack of rocks. They sometimes nest on high buildings, too. This photo was taken in an abandoned quarry. So was the photo of the kite. The kite is often there keeping his eyes open for leftovers from the chicks' dinner.

Last spring there were also two chicks in the quarry. Last summer, when they were fully grown, I went there with my little boy. I had promised to show him an eagle owl (bold - I know...). What we saw were the two young ones with a parent bird roosting in the shadow. I don't have a zoom lens that is why there are only two of them in this photo: N03_9700_small.jpg

Those are big owls! They're beautiful. So it looks like they're related to Great Horned Owl, I can definitely see the resemblance:

Anthony, my ParcelForce delivery driver bringing my new Curio's up the path.

(It is sad when you have to set up an observation post to relieve the courier of your parcel before your beloved gets up, but as I want to retain most of my dangly bits, being sad is a price worth paying.)

Fantastic little bino's, and later, a joyful sight down on the river as Mum and Dad kept guard over their 6 little Cygnets.

DSC02162 1.jpg

Last edited:
Anthony, my ParcelForce delivery driver bringing my new Curio's up the path.

(It is sad when you have to set up an observation post to relieve the courier of your parcel before your beloved gets up, but as I want to retain most of my dangly bits, being sad is a price worth paying.)

Fantastic little bino's, and later, a joyful sight down on the river as Mum and Dad kept guard over their 6 little Cygnets.

View attachment 1516777
Lol, I know exactly what you mean about setting up your observing post. I’ve been at this a long time, so I have this down to an art form of diabolical deception and subterfuge. A couple of factors to consider for those of less experience, we don’t want our significant other to be home during the delivery window. Certainly that is not something we can control depending on the delivery company.
Here are some tips;
1. Once you get the tracking information many times you can go on to the website and input delivery instructions, one way is to have the package held at the hub for your personal pickup.
2. You can get text or email notification alerts, therefore narrowing down your delivery window so to hunt down the delivery truck within a few blocks of your delivery location, the drivers always accommodate.
3. You can leave instructions for the driver on the website where to leave the package at your location so it’s not right in front of the door. I usually have them drop up drive away on side of house.
4. Monitor your security cameras on your phone and once delivered have a friend or neighbor grab the package for you to get it later in the day. These are just a few low level systems, I’ll leave it at that and apologize for commandeering the OP for a moment , couldn’t resist.

Here is one very inquisitive feathery friend that seemed to have a very unusual fixation on my just returned Leica 7x42 UVHD. This little guy followed me around the park for about a half hour before losing interest and moving on to eat dead grass.

Attachments

• 4E57B0E9-5EA3-4C08-9B39-92CBF8EAC426.jpeg
    4E57B0E9-5EA3-4C08-9B39-92CBF8EAC426.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 5ED2FCE4-22E9-4359-BC95-0F30F1D93FA6.jpeg
    5ED2FCE4-22E9-4359-BC95-0F30F1D93FA6.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 4
Lol, I know exactly what you mean about setting up your observing post. I’ve been at this a long time, so I have this down to an art form of diabolical deception and subterfuge. A couple of factors to consider for those of less experience, we don’t want our significant other to be home during the delivery window. Certainly that is not something we can control depending on the delivery company.
Here are some tips;
1. Once you get the tracking information many times you can go on to the website and input delivery instructions, one way is to have the package held at the hub for your personal pickup.
2. You can get text or email notification alerts, therefore narrowing down your delivery window so to hunt down the delivery truck within a few blocks of your delivery location, the drivers always accommodate.
3. You can leave instructions for the driver on the website where to leave the package at your location so it’s not right in front of the door. I usually have them drop up drive away on side of house.
4. Monitor your security cameras on your phone and once delivered have a friend or neighbor grab the package for you to get it later in the day. These are just a few low level systems, I’ll leave it at that and apologize for commandeering the OP for a moment , couldn’t resist.

Here is one very inquisitive feathery friend that seemed to have a very unusual fixation on my just returned Leica 7x42 UVHD. This little guy followed me around the park for about a half hour before losing interest and moving on to eat dead grass.
That is a disgraceful list of deception tactics for which I hope you are thoroughly ashamed.

I have done all of them but find that a visit to the hairdressers is very close to having a local friend with a similar problem and synchronising deliveries to each others house.

It is very sad but as my beloved was expelled from the Taliban for cruelty I am sure that most rational sinners would understand and forgive!;)

That is a disgraceful list of deception tactics for which I hope you are thoroughly ashamed.

I have done all of them but find that a visit to the hairdressers is very close to having a local friend with a similar problem and synchronising deliveries to each others house.

It is very sad but as my beloved was expelled from the Taliban for cruelty I am sure that most rational sinners would understand and forgive!;)
Wait, there’s more. I’ll have things addressed to her delivered to the house, and tell her I bought her some thing don’t open the boxes , then on my way home I’ll pick her up a little something, you know something that would look like it would fit in the shipping box that was delivered, I know diabolical, my wife might consider that devious , others might consider it cunning. 😵‍💫🤫📦.

Ps Expelled from the Taliban for cruelty, I missed that Pat, 😂😆👍

Man, you guys are cunning. I simply spend time in the kitchen to make breakfast exactly in the time-window of delivery, which I checked via tracking. From the kitchen window I can see the street, so I hurry down before the post lady rings the bell.
But sometimes I just don't care. And if my wife asks what I spent, my standard answer is 30€, no matter what the bino actually cost. It's not like she's gonna google what the real prices are. It helps that we have separate bank accounts as we are both self-employed and keep our business transactions separate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back