• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this about replacing the straps on Zeiss Binoculars? (2 Viewers)

Last edited:
No Joachim, this is about a consumer organisation in Germany testing binocular straps and finding excessive levels of harmful substances such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Thanks for the thread link! I emailed Zeiss Customer Service and they said they would send me replacement straps for my Zeiss binoculars.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I asked Zeiss via e-mail about replacing several days ago. The answer was that they can exchange straps for binoculars which were purchased ONLY in EU. And I got rejected :(

Last edited:
I'm curious to know, of those who have received new strap(s) from Zeiss, how many have actually gotten round to fitting them yet? I'll be the first to admit that my replacement strap is still in its bag, waiting for me to get a quiet moment in which to do it - the original one was very long and I needed to shorten it and heat-seal the cut ends, and I think I'll need to do the same again.

I'm curious to know, of those who have received new strap(s) from Zeiss, how many have actually gotten round to fitting them yet? I'll be the first to admit that my replacement strap is still in its bag, waiting for me to get a quiet moment in which to do it - the original one was very long and I needed to shorten it and heat-seal the cut ends, and I think I'll need to do the same again.
I replaced mine. I almost always have to shorten my strap and heat seal the end. I use the flat end of a soldering iron and I have gotten quite good at it since I have so done it so many times. The new straps are very nice.

I didn't bother - the new one looks less well made.
But it is carcinogenic. Some of the materials used on the older strap do look a little questionable. I would rather be safe than sorry. If you put the strap over your collar so you never touch your skin you will probably be OK but if you perspire with the old strap against your bare skin it could eventually cause problems IMO.

I agree Lee. I don't see a lot of difference in the quality of the new straps and for some reason the material looks safer.

And I actually use Zeiss straps for all my binos for two reasons. One is that the strap is tailored to lie on your shoulders while circling the base of your neck, rather than hanging from the back of your neck. If find this more comfortable. Two is that the ends of the straps are totally free of snap-in connectors so that I can attach the ocular guard at both sides and have it slide up and down neatly and not hang down from one side, twisting the strap and it needing untwisting every time you need to use it. I have a narrow IPD of 58.5 so it is convenient that when I slide the ocular guard down to the eyecups when rain starts to fall, the straps on both sides automatically adjusts the guard to my IPD and it slips onto the eyecups without any fiddling to make it fit.

Lee

No need to cut Zeiss straps

Dennis and Swissboy

I am puzzled by your need to cut the straps shorter and have to fiddle with cauterising the resulting strap-ends to prevent fraying.

Take a look at my strap set-up in the first pic. Notice that with the adjustment buckles pulled right up to where the neck-pad begins, this leaves only 10in of strap on each side which delivers your binos to your chest, not hanging down near your belly. If you wanted the strap even shorter you could pull the loose end further through the buckles and if the short length of loose end sticking out beyond the buckle annoys you just pass it back through the buckle again.

The way I put the strap through the buckle is this and pay attention, this ain't easy to explain. In you right hand you have the neck strap and in your left you have the buckle. Put the end of the strap UP and OVER the central bar of the buckle, then take it down to the bino lug and thread it down through it. Fold the end of the strap OUTWARDS i.e. away from the bino and bring it up to the buckle and pass it under the first bar, OVER the central bar where the upper part of the strap is already lying, and under the final bar. Move the buckle DOWN the strap towards the bino to make the strap longer or mobe it UP the strap towards the neck pad to make the strap shorter. The second pic is of the buckle and the bino is off the pic to the left.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_4348 Red.jpg
    IMG_4348 Red.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4349 Red.jpg
    IMG_4349 Red.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 59
I've quickly received my replacement strap from Zeiss (for victory 8x25) and I've made the switch. And didn't throw the old one away though, keeping it in a small bag somewhere with back-up items, mainly for spare parts "just in case" (e.g. a plastic buckle).
(I just didn't receive the 'gift card' they mentioned "because there is no Zeiss-webshop in Belgium" :s Quite a silly reason as they do ship to Belgium from other EU-webshops. But anyway, it's already good customer service to have quickly sent the replacement strap for free.)

I didn't see any visible real difference between the old and the new strap, but still made the switch: why not?, as there is no loss in doing the switch (done in 5minutes, received the replacement for free), while being more safe regarding the PAH's.

I find the (both) straps OK for these small binoculars, except for the thin little cords connecting them to the binoculars. They are fiddly to install and I tend to trust them less then regular connection via the typical wider strap end. (Apart from the lack of accessories, the strap connection (small buckle on the binoculars and corresponding small end-cords of the straps) is my main comment on the 8x25.)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back