• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this anybody (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
Have this 7x42 Leica, there are some whitish marks or something on the inside around the lens cell right tube. Leica is saying no fungus or mold. This was sent in for service last year for a small speck on the inside of that lens and was sent back with no issues. This was not here when I received them back.

I have nothing like this on any binoculars in my collection.

Anybody know what this can be?

Thank you

Attachments

• 338DE7B5-E10C-4F99-9FC5-E0DF9D334E83.jpeg
    338DE7B5-E10C-4F99-9FC5-E0DF9D334E83.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 66A54E69-E300-45B3-A647-B62C7B3DB67E.jpeg
    66A54E69-E300-45B3-A647-B62C7B3DB67E.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 571CE3F6-3D3F-4EF0-9407-B78949EF161D.jpeg
    571CE3F6-3D3F-4EF0-9407-B78949EF161D.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 72
If it is rubber, it looks similar to the white that appears on rubber.

Otherwise some chemical might have been used to clean the surface?

Regards,
B.

Old Vinten F 95 cameras were some kind of aluminium alloy and used to oxidise I think.

The enormous RMK survey cameras were I think magnesium but painted.

Do magnesium car wheels show this kind of effect?

B.

It may be that a replacement cell or cell and optics was fitted and this replacement had oxidised.

I rarely send optics back unless the faults are just too bad to tolerate.

Regards,
B.

It may be that a replacement cell or cell and optics was fitted and this replacement had oxidised.

I rarely send optics back unless the faults are just too bad to tolerate.

Regards,
B.
I’m being told its a different texture, not buying that because is wasn’t there when they sent it back last year. It’s probably as you say oxidation or as someone else suggested, outgassing.

Thank you

Oxidation, something that does occur with raw aluminum, is well controlled with anodization. As most bino innards are coated/anodized (if Al or Magnesium) I'd be skeptical this is oxidation... unless for some reason of ham handed re-assembly the anodization was scraped off at that point. But still, seems a mystery.

Oxidation, something that does occur with raw aluminum, is well controlled with anodization. As most bino innards are coated/anodized (if Al or Magnesium) I'd be skeptical this is oxidation... unless for some reason of ham handed re-assembly the anodization was scraped off at that point. But still, seems a mystery.
Hey Tom I didn’t think of that , good point. Still could be oxidation but not the most likely. Maybe out gassing of lubricant or possibly the Argon or Nitrogen. The Leica rep that I’ve worked with before is kind of going around in circles. I’ve asked to speak with the tech, let’s see what happens. I hesitated to send them in , as they were perfect in every way, collimation was perfect, focuser probably the best of all the other Ultravids I have and had. But that ring bothered me , I know your shocked that something like that would bother me 😆.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back