• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this? Turkey Vulture with a Band-Aid? (1 Viewer)

MelospizaMelodiaFan

I photograph birds
United States
These photos were taken 26 May 2023 in San Leandro, CA. Only today did I notice something funny on the vulture's head. It looks like some kind of bandage to me. Does anyone know what this is?

Could it be some kind of avian flu related activity? I heard they were testing vaccines for condors on turkey vultures.

Attachments

• turkey_vulture02.JPG
    turkey_vulture02.JPG
    701.7 KB · Views: 31
  • turkey_vulture01.JPG
    turkey_vulture01.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 30
Not sure what you're referring to: the pale area on the crown? the pale bill-base contrasting with its dark tip? If you check photos of TVs you'll see they have a lot of variability, so I don't see anything particularly unusual here.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was referring to the pale area on the crown. There is such a contrast; I usually see patches of black up there.

Here is another photo I found online, perhaps it is similar to this condition, just exacerbated by the grain in my photo.
Turkey_Vulture_0126.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back