• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite 8x42 binocular, for less than $1000 (1 Viewer)

If I could have only one 8X42 at under $1,000, I would be looking for a like new Nikon EDG-I on eBay.

A couple of other good values well under $1,000 are the Zen-Ray 8X43 ED3 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED. The primary thing to watch on these two beside quality control variation is the Zen has shorter eye cups for the eye relief and it has caused issues for some and the Vanguard has a smaller FOV (368 ft). There have also been reports of eye cup fit with the Zeiss Conquest HD so the Zen is in good company!

For someone who isn't buying one (immediately anyway) I have been mentioning in a couple of threads how impressed I was with the Kowa Genesis. The demo prices at Eagle Optics are awesome right now too...

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/kowa/kowa-genesis-8-5x44-binocular

Okay TECHNICALLY an 8.5 and 44 mm objective... But I would hit the "Add to cart" button like the fist of an angry GOD if I was wasn't dead set on Leica/German right now...

Last edited:
For someone who isn't buying one (immediately anyway) I have been mentioning in a couple of threads how impressed I was with the Kowa Genesis. The demo prices at Eagle Optics are awesome right now too...

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/kowa/kowa-genesis-8-5x44-binocular

Okay TECHNICALLY an 8.5 and 44 mm objective... But I would hit the "Add to cart" button like the fist of an angry GOD if I was wasn't dead set on Leica/German right now...

Take a look at the Minox HG 8x33 MIG as well. I have a pair and find them superb. I recently was able to look through a pair of Genesis 8x32 and found them decent but I still prefer the Minox HG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back