• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What parts for a 4500 external power pack? (1 Viewer)

DJA

Hi! I have seen a few digiscopers in the field using external power packs and have been told that I could get all the parts to make one myself from Maplins.I was given some idea of what was needed, so of I went to the aforementioned shop to purchase the parts only to be confronted by a vast array of components of different sizes and types etc. Can anybody who has successfully made a power pack please advise me to what parts, battery size etc, I would need for my Coolpix4500. And what kind of battery life would I be expected to get with an external power pack?
just read a thread on the forum about power packs but it wasn't for a 4500.
Any help would be gratefully received
Many thanks.

Hi DJA,

I know there have been various other threads about making up an external powerpack, but myself and a few others have just purchased a ready made power-pack from Maplin for £19.99.....

I have used mine for a full day out and have not managed to run it down.

I can't recall the part number, but I seem to recall it was fairly simple to find out from the Maplins website.

Don't know whether a home-made variety may be better/cheaper??

Good Luck..... Ruby

Thanks Ruby,

Just found a thread started by Elizabeth Brigg ( thanks Elizabeth if your reading this!) she uses a ready made power pack ( Li-Ion Ext Cam Batt, stock number L56AN prised at 29.99) and others who have used the same speak highly about it.
Maybe I should abandon the idea of making one from scratch! I'll try Maplins website and I think I'll go and have a chat with them in the shop within the next few days.

Once again thanks for your help

Thanks Brian,
just got it up on the Maplins website, like the idea you can charge it up from the car cigarette lighter.We're going to Namibia next year so that would be a great help out in the bush. In fact that was one of my concerns about the life of a battery before needing to be re-charged. Still I've plenty of time to look into it before then!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back