• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to put in the garden bird feeder? (1 Viewer)

What to put in the garden bird feeder?

Got all my equipment, want to know what to put in it!

Hi greenfrog, in our garden we use fat balls, Buggy Nibbles the Blue Tits, Great tits, Long-tailed tits, Starlings really like these and last year I had a wintering Blackcap feeding on the buggy nibbles butthis year even though they have turned up again their is enough berries for them at the moment.
Seed I use a feeder mix which the Tits like along with the Greenfinch and Robins
and the Dunnocks pick up what as fallen. Though this is messy with the husks of the black sun flowers seeds all overthe floor. So I would suggest no mess sun flowers seeds, peanuts. Iam thinking of putting out some meal worms soon,most of the food I get is from the RSPB shop.
Take a look at this it might help?
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

Hi greenfrog, in our garden we use fat balls, Buggy Nibbles the Blue Tits, Great tits, Long-tailed tits, Starlings really like these and last year I had a wintering Blackcap feeding on the buggy nibbles butthis year even though they have turned up again their is enough berries for them at the moment.
Seed I use a feeder mix which the Tits like along with the Greenfinch and Robins
and the Dunnocks pick up what as fallen. Though this is messy with the husks of the black sun flowers seeds all overthe floor. So I would suggest no mess sun flowers seeds, peanuts. Iam thinking of putting out some meal worms soon,most of the food I get is from the RSPB shop.
Take a look at this it might help?
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

Oh cool!

Can you recomend any good bird feeders? Mine I realise aren't too great.

Thanks Woody.

Also one more question ha. Are there particular times of the day where I'd be more likely to see birds at my feeder. I unfortunately don't have a view out to the garden from my home without actually going right out if that makes any sense and I'd like to try get a good idea what time of the day to see birds, especially for this weekends survey.

Thanks Woody.

Also one more question ha. Are there particular times of the day where I'd be more likely to see birds at my feeder. I unfortunately don't have a view out to the garden from my home without actually going right out if that makes any sense and I'd like to try get a good idea what time of the day to see birds, especially for this weekends survey.
I find that the birds in my garden start to arrive about 7.30am and have a peak activity around 9.00am to 10.00am then goes quite, with the odd bird here and there turning up to feed. Then I have another peak of activity by 3.00pm until dusk.
hope that helps and you get to enjoy the birds in your garden.

If you have any squirells in the area you will need metal feeders, I know from past experience as they destroyed the plastic peanut and seed feeders in days when I started feeding the birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back