• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What's the best field guide for Ecuador? (1 Viewer)

THE_FERN

But electronics does not like humidity and mud.
Yes, but neither does paper. Modern sealed phones are probably more water resistant.

The risk is why I take 2 different models. Through painful experience, I've learnt to save things to SD card and not rely on internal storage.

Andy Adcock

England
Yes, but neither does paper. Modern sealed phones are probably more water resistant.

The risk is why I take 2 different models. Through painful experience, I've learnt to save things to SD card and not rely on internal storage.
I recall once being in a place in India, which had a few books. When I opened a couple of them, they were badly damaged by the humidity0 moldy and almost falling apart. How do people protect their books if they live in such conditions, aircon helps I suppose?

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I guess it depends on the actual humidity where the books are placed. I live in the Caribbean, and if I left a book in the area with roof but no walls it would eventually become ruined even with no rain falling on it. Indoors (where I use the AC once in a blue moon) they actually seems to hold up. In my case I believe that the sun on many days heats the room enough that the inside air dries a little and that is enough.

Niels

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
The guide I like is the McMullan guide by Jocotco Publishing but the one I was trying to remember that I also like are just the plates by McMullan. You can see the two field guides side by side although the smaller one is just the plates of a particular area, such as NW Ecuador. Both of these are perfect for 'in the field' as they fit into a binocular case. I like the information on the McMullan as it provides a small map with range, provides elevation, and provides a small habitat narrative. :)

Attachments

• 1 b.jpg
    1 b.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread