• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this Crossbill species? (1 Viewer)

Im trying to make out the uppertail coverts on this bird, which should be strongly dark centered for 2 barred if im not mistaken?

They dont seem to be too dark, though it is often underestimated just how subtle and variable this species can in fact be.

Owen

I agree with CAU that the Crossbill is 2cy bird. However I suppose that the species is Common/Red C.
E.g. follow features leads me to think on Common/Red-option:
The bird has not white tips to upper tail coverts, the lack of well-marked and blackish centres of scapulars, the small size of head, tail looks relative short, etc ...
Btw, the bird is ringed... ;-)

IMO it's a Red Crossbill, 2-barred / White-winged would have broader wingbars, expanding towards the rear to a greater extent, and the white on the tertial tips isn't extensive enough.
Chris

I couldn't relocate the bird again today but for the sake of comparison here are a couple of pics from this afternoon of what is clearly a male Common (Red) Crossbill with some white markings on its' wings.

It looks quite different from the original bird in #1.

Attachments

• IMG_9686-1.JPG
    IMG_9686-1.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9691-1.JPG
    IMG_9691-1.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 267
Nice pics, but still similar than original case, thus Common..
Notice that the feature (white on the wings) varies between individuals
and also the tips of tertials seems to be perhaps more worn in this later case than the former case.

Still not convinced - the white on the original bird is much more extensive - this bird follows the typical wing-barred Common - thin line on the greater coverts only, even lining to the tertials. Still think the original bird is Two-barred, shame we couldn't read the ring!!

Also the overall colour brick-red refers Common C too. If the bird would be Two-barred, it should be more scarlet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back