• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear, Great Orme, North Wales 22/10/2023 (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I'd be interested in any thoughts on this wheatear I photographed on the Great Orme yesterday. Before I begin though, apologies for the blue tint, my camera was playing up with the white balance. I'm not sure if I can fix it now.

The bird was on the limestone pavement at the northern tip of the Orme. It was quite an interesting bird from the start I thought, it seems to have really pale underparts, black lores, darkish ear coverts and a very distinct white supercilium either side of the eye. It was also a very upright bird. My first thought was juvenile Greenland wheatear, but the combination of these features make me wonder if it might actually be an adult.

Any comments?

Thanks

ColinWheatear 9.jpg

Attachments

• Wheatear 6.jpg
    Wheatear 6.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Wheatear 1.jpg
    Wheatear 1.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Wheatear 4.jpg
    Wheatear 4.jpg