• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear help - Fuerteventura (1 Viewer)

fatpigeon

Canada
Recently cam across 2 wheatears in Jandia park north of Costa Calma, Fuerteventura, Canaries. Being from Canada, I have little experience with wheatears, especially since Northern, Isabelline and Desert have been seen here. The grey one I'm almost certain is a Northern but I'm not as positive on the beige one. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2J6A0495 (2).jpg
    2J6A0495 (2).jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 2J6A0661 (2).jpg
    2J6A0661 (2).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 114
  • 2J6A0663 (2).jpg
    2J6A0663 (2).jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 2J6A0664 (2).jpg
    2J6A0664 (2).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 113
Having never seen a Wheatear in 20 + years I can't help you with this one but I would like to wish you a warm welcome to you from all of us on BirdForum ;)

Isabelline for the last two. The first two give more of a Northern impression but not 100% with these photos.
For me, all are Northern. The only pro Izzy feature is the dark lores, which are shown by non-breeding Northern males.
The extent of the buff on the breast and lack of upright carriage don't seem right, but to be honest the photos aren't really good enough IMHO

For me, all are Northern. The only pro Izzy feature is the dark lores, which are shown by non-breeding Northern males.
The extent of the buff on the breast and lack of upright carriage don't seem right, but to be honest the photos aren't really good enough IMHO
If the OP does have additional photos I would like to see them posted. It would also to be good to have the actual date, rather than just 'recent'.

If a wintering Northern, in this area Atlas Wheatear (seebohmi) needs to be eliminated. They are very tricky and need good photos when in non-breeding plumage. A strong pale supercilium is a good clue. There still seems to be a gap in our understanding of their wintering habits and the difficulty of separating from Northern has always to some extent hidden their movements. In my experience they move back into their breeding area later than the main movement of Northern in the spring, but the literature says some stay in Morocco

If the OP does have additional photos I would like to see them posted. It would also to be good to have the actual date, rather than just 'recent'.

If a wintering Northern, in this area Atlas Wheatear (seebohmi) needs to be eliminated. They are very tricky and need good photos when in non-breeding plumage. A strong pale supercilium is a good clue. There still seems to be a gap in our understanding of their wintering habits and the difficulty of separating from Northern has always to some extent hidden their movements. In my experience they move back into their breeding area later than the main movement of Northern in the spring, but the literature says some stay in Morocco
Both photos were taken on the 3rd of January this month. I should also clarify that photos 2-4 are of the same bird while the first photo was one found earlier in the morning. I have no other photos of that bird, and I have only one other of the more beige wheatear, which I have attached (another poor quality photo I know). My only observation notes are of the second, beige bird which I noticed had a more upright posture and flew low to the ground and often. I don't pretend to know about wheatear ID but from what I gather from guide books is that the posture points Izzy, but longer tail points Northern? The colour and supercilium is really throwing me off though. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 2J6A0662 (2).jpg
    2J6A0662 (2).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 32
Clearly image 1. (presumed Northern) is different to…2,3,4 and (5, latest) which all have consecutive jpeg nos.
I note that the exposed underwing and tail appear to favour Issy on jpeg 663, in that there appears to be a solid black under tail bar without any vertical centre bar spurring off.

Also the underwing is mostly white/pale not a Northern attribute?…add to which, the overall cosmetic in image 4 to include dark lores, not to mention fat pigeon’s comments regarding posture and movement….kinda favours Issy over any of the other candidates?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back