• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When do Pileated Woodpeckers return in the spring? (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
Greetings.
Last spring, I had a great season for seeing Pileated Woodpeckers. (The summer was also good, but not as good until toward August.) I am asking because although I have accepted that I will only be hearing distant calls rarely for the rest of the winter (another month or so. welcome to new york!) I was wondering if I could get a heads up.
Does anyone know when Pileated Woodpeckers begin mating in the spring? That's when I tend to see them in my yard. They're my favorite animal and I want to see them as soon as I can, so I know when to put out the natural peanut butter (so that there's no sodium or anything the birds may not be able to digest) which, last year, the Pillies (pileated woodpeckers, i came up with that acronym on the spot.) absolutely loved!
Thanks.
- Joe

Hi WoodpeckerMaster!

I am a former New Yorker and rarely saw many Pileateds. I'm down south now and I see my share of them just about all year long. Just posted a pic of a male yesterday that came to visit. See'
My favorite Woodie

They love the peanut butter I spread on Pine Cones and they especially like the Hot pepper suet that I use and keeps the squirrels away from demolishing the suet.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back