• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to go in Andalucia when you don't have a car. (1 Viewer)

greeniguana

Help - where to go in Andalucia when you don't have a car?

Hi all

Have a 3 week trip planned to andalucia at the beginning of May. Want to do some birding (and general nature/photography etc) while I'm there. My problem is that all my travelling will be on public transport which makes it pretty difficult to get to a lot of the birding areas. So anyone know of any places to stay that I can get to by public transport that also have rural/birdy spots within EASY walking distance?

I am starting my trip with 5 nights at el rocio cause I know there are plenty of opps for birding within easy walking distance there (as well as the Nat Park of course).

Your help would be much appreciated. As would any general tips on birding or general nature watching in Andalucia.

thanks eve

Last edited:
no mountain climbing

Could you suggest how far is easy walking distance ?

Well no more than about an hours walk to get to a spot that I can start birding from - preferably less. I'm very slow as I stop to look at things and take photos all the time. So it doesnt have to be a big area to explore as long as there are interesting things to look at - which could be birds, flowers, dragonflies, butterflies, insects,reptiles, anything in the world of nature really.

thanks

El Rocio, Coto Doñana as a base gives you really excellent birding on your doorstep and a number of 1, 2 and more kms walks for more species even. In early May its brilliant.

Only one thing, when is the massive pilgrimage to El Rocio this year? From a birding perspective it means the area is no-go for a week.

From Sevilla, one can reach there by bus.

Birding without a car is problematical, but bus services reach the most out of way villages although it can be tricky to get there and back and have plenty of birding time. Bus timetables for the area can be found at www.tgcomes.es and www.linesur.com . For train services go to www.renfe.com . Bicycle hire is possible in most popular resorts.

A regular bus (every 15-20 minutes I think) runs from Sanlucar de Barameda (easily reached by bus from Jerez) to Algaida. This would allow you to explore the pine woodlands, a good laguna with a heronry and Bonanza saltpans. Several of the train stations on the outskirts of Cadiz would put you within easy reach of other saltpans (although Algaida/Bonanza would be better). A bus service from Jerez to Alcala de los Gazules would, after an hours' walk take you to some good habitat in lower maountains. The Algeciras - Ronda trainline cuts through fantastic countryside and alighting at Colmenar station would give you access to some good woodlands (although there are few trains per day).

For some idea of what you might see in some of these locations check my blog (see below) and follow directions on my site to download my notes on the region. Unfortunately, they're aimed at those with transport, but they should give you some idea of locations worth visiting,

thanks for the info. Taken the pilgrimage into consideration - will have left el rocio before it gets there, have my room already booked. Although I'd quite like to see the Romeria I'm not sure I'd be able to take that many people and anyway too expensive to stay when its on.

Had a look at your site John - it was very useful. Acala could be an option - even without a car might be good to spend a few days there - would love to see some kestrels. I was also thinking of Tarifa - I could try both the coastal walks. Would like to see the town too.

Not going to rush my decision though. Just be nice to see andalucia in the spring - both my previous trips were in the autumn and everything was dry as.

thanks for the info. Taken the pilgrimage into consideration - will have left el rocio before it gets there, have my room already booked. Although I'd quite like to see the Romeria I'm not sure I'd be able to take that many people and anyway too expensive to stay when its on.

Had a look at your site John - it was very useful. Acala could be an option - even without a car might be good to spend a few days there - would love to see some kestrels. I was also thinking of Tarifa - I could try both the coastal walks. Would like to see the town too.

Not going to rush my decision though. Just be nice to see andalucia in the spring - both my previous trips were in the autumn and everything was dry as.

Just be careful with pick-pockets on the Romeria, it can get quite congested and claustrophobic ;)

Doñana

El Rocio, Coto Doñana as a base gives you really excellent birding on your doorstep and a number of 1, 2 and more kms walks for more species even. In early May its brilliant.

Only one thing, when is the massive pilgrimage to El Rocio this year? From a birding perspective it means the area is no-go for a week.

From Sevilla, one can reach there by bus.

Covering the Bonana Salt-Pans to Brazo del Este route, can give you most of the species you can expect to see in Doñana, but Doñana is well worth a visit if one has never been there, even if its just for seeing the variety of habitats and learning about the biodivertisty of the area via their well setup interpretation centres and tours.

I'd say you can try hitchiking but would totally understand that you may not feel comfortable with that idea. (It is an underrated way of getting around imo - but you have to be up to it, flexible, and know the safety issues). Probably not recommended for single female travellers unless you know what you are doing.

Otherwise, it may be worth posting in the Companions for Birding Trips forum to see if anyone was around at about the same time as you, or see the birdingpals website http://www.birdingpal.org/

Covering the Bonana Salt-Pans to Brazo del Este route, can give you most of the species you can expect to see in Doñana

Yes - I know this area well going back to the 80's and you definitely need a car for that route!

With El Rocio as a walking base one can see 100+ species in one or two days without walking more than about 2kms.

Well no more than about an hours walk to get to a spot that I can start birding from - preferably less.

Tarifa might be OK. It is about an hours walk from one end of the town to the other - some of that could be along the beach.

The town itself is agreeable and the buses may be good enough to take you further afield to Pelayo and Punta Paloma. Highlight should be honey buzzard migration.

You could also consider Fuente de Piedra where village to lagoon may take less than an hour.

Last edited:
Tarifa might be OK. It is about an hours walk from one end of the town to the other - some of that could be along the beach.

The town itself is agreeable and the buses may be good enough to take you further afield to Pelayo and Punta Paloma. Highlight should be honey buzzard migration.

You could also consider Fuente de Piedra where village to lagoon may take less than an hour.

It's a pleasant 30 min walk from Tarifa town centre along the boardwalk to the hide at Playo de los Lances. In the summer buses run from Tarifa to Bolonia which would open up new areas to explore.

Concur with El Rocio as a great centre for pedestrian birding - have been twice previously, and am choosing to go again a fortnight from now even though this time one of he party drives and we'll hire a car. Astute use of the bus will allow you to get to El Acebuche too. And you my just luck onto someone with a spare seat doing the N marshes and area down to J A Valverdes VC. But the village, La Rocina etc and out E to the sewage works give you three or four days that aren't repetitive to start with ...

And wouldn't La Janda be doable from there by bus? Right next to the main Tarifa - Vejer road and some very accessible walking.

http://lagunalajanda.org/

And have you checked out John Cantelo's excellent Birding Cadiz Province at:

http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/

Thanks everybody for your great advice. After much head scratching I've got most of my trip planned. Taking the easy way out and making el rocio my main birdy part of the trip. Any birds I see after that I will consider a bonus. Have booked 6 nights there so lots of time to do walks. Been trying to get one of the full day trips with discovering donana but they havent been able to fit me in as of yet. I have done their half day standard trip, which I enjoyed but would really prefer a full day. but as a last resort the half day trip would get me to the valverde vistitors centre.
Next stop Tarifa - hope to catch the tail end of the spring migration. also have booked a days birding with a guide - tarifa, la janda, barbate and vejer. So fingers crossed the wind isnt too strong.
Then onto Cordoba - not a birding destination but I want to see the festival of the patios. Though you can see a few birds by the river - its been left au natural and is a lovely spot. There is quite a big cattle egret roost - love watching them flying in at dusk.
Still tossing up between Ronda and Aracena. Haven't been to Ronda in the spring when its green and there are a few ok looking walks from the city into the surrounding countryside. Plus could make a bus/train daytrip to one of the many surrounding villages. But I think I'm leaning more toward Arancena. It's closer to Seville, where I finish up. Plus have never been to that area before and looks like there could be some pleasant walks between villages - so hopefully will see a few birds on the way. Anyone been there?
This is probably more info about my trip than you need but thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back