• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see Fen Orchid in Norfolk? (1 Viewer)

watcha

anyone know of a site for Fen Orchid in Norfolk?

maybe best to only mention sites that are managed as reserves... or PM me if you think the info might be sensitive

Rgds

Tim

Hi Timmeeh

There are three sites in Norfolk, one of which is completely inaccessible. In case Lorne hasn't already given you the info, the other two are on reserves.

Don't think they are especially sensitive, but at one site the plants are in standing water a metre deep.

That means the best place to go is Upton Fen, where there are seven plants currently in flower.

I am going on Sunday - might see you there?

Also there is the British endemic Dactylorhiza traunsteineroides - Pugsley's marsh orchid, plus some hybrid types.

Let me know if you need any more info

GV

Ghostly Vision said:
Hi Timmeeh

There are three sites in Norfolk, one of which is completely inaccessible. In case Lorne hasn't already given you the info, the other two are on reserves.

Don't think they are especially sensitive, but at one site the plants are in standing water a metre deep.

That means the best place to go is Upton Fen, where there are seven plants currently in flower.

I am going on Sunday - might see you there?

Also there is the British endemic Dactylorhiza traunsteineroides - Pugsley's marsh orchid, plus some hybrid types.

Let me know if you need any more info

GV

Watcha mate

I can do Sunday - would be good to have a flower expert with me...
sounds like fun

I'll clear my inbox and be in touch

cheers to you too Lorne

Tim Allwood said:
Watcha mate

I can do Sunday - would be good to have a flower expert with me...
sounds like fun

I'll clear my inbox and be in touch

cheers to you too Lorne

Hi mate.

I'll see if I can find a flower expert to bring with me.

Arrangements at my end still open due to family complications.

Catchya

GV

Hi Tim, I'm sure Sean has better info than me for that area, so hope you both have a successful day. I did forget to suggest the wellies!
Lorne

As predicted Sean had a few to many so we're going to meet up next week

however, i popped over with the girlfriend this morning, met the amazingly expert Peter Colston of Rare birds of Britain and Europe fame, and we found the Fen Orchids after a bit of over the mobile directions from Sean...

cracking stuff, not the showiest of orchids but beautiful in its own way. Lots of Southern Marsh Orchids, a few Pugley's Marsh Orchids and lots interesteing butterflies and dragons including Hairy, Norfolk Hawker, Variable damselfly etc...

a lovely morning

and hardly a soul in sight

thanks very much Sean - see you next week all being well!

Tim

James Blake said:
Good one Tim - unobtrusive little wetland plants do have their appeal, don't they?

James

lovely little things

I'm going back with the coolpix one evening!!!

and many thanks for your help and for getting the ball rolling last week!

Tim

yes, get you back there and take some pics for those of us who dunno what we're looking at... :t:

It'd make a nice run out on that new bike of yours too.... ;)

lovely place and never anyone about

Hey Timmeeh

Bringing your lovely girlfriend on Sunday? Is she Italian? Milky milky.

No worries with the directions. They weren't mine!

Glad you enjoyed the little critters, but I sent you to the wrong place. The other site has much better plants, so bring your wellies and your pogo stick on Sunday - we have a ditch or two to leap over!!

For anyone wishing to see ORchids in Britain, may I point out at this juncture that there is a very good book by Anne & Simon Harrap which is both a field and site guide.

You might want to check the acknowlegements, he suggests humbly....

LAK

GV

went back tonight with the gf and Dave Showler

photo of the little beauty attached

in addition to the various orchirds we also found Saw Sedge, Marsh Helleborine, Skullcap, Marsh Pimpernel, Bog Rosemary, Water Figwort, Frogbit, Greater Birds Foot Trefoil (see jpeg) and a wintergreen that i'm not sure of (Round-leaved? see attached jpegs. Also a mullein moth caterpillar (species unknown, anyone?)

Sean - they're starting to look a bit ropey now. Should be okay for Sun though....

Attachments

• Fen orchid.jpg
    Fen orchid.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 485
  • GBTF.jpg
    GBTF.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 287
  • wintergreen.jpg
    wintergreen.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 265
  • mullein moth.jpg
    mullein moth.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
I have to say 'Fen' is one of my favorites, and for anyone who wants to see them easily, a trip to Kenfig will do the trick. The wardens there are happy to help with info.
Lorne

Could one of you kind souls please pm me directions for the Fen Orchids, as i would like to pop up to see them this year, having seen the ovata ssp at Kenfig years ago but never seen these.
TIA

Stuart.

I'd also appreciate a PM - if possible with fairly detailed on-site directions as I've never been to Upton Fen before. Planning to go this June though.

Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back