• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Bird do you Least Like? (1 Viewer)

Neighbors' chickens.
1AM: "RR-RRR-RRRR-RR-RRRRRRR!!!!"
2AM: "RR-RRR-RRRR-RR-RRRRRRR!!!!"
3AM: "RR-RRR-RRRR-RR-RRRRRRR!!!!"
4AM: "RR-RRR-RRRR-RR-RRRRRRR!!!!"
5AM: "RR-RRR-RRRR-RR-RRRRRRR!!!!"
etc...

You should think yourself lucky they don't keep guineafowl - 100x LOUDER!!

Speaking of annoying birds, at the Melbourne Botanical gardens I ran across a good size flock of Bell Miners. Awesome at first (I love honeyeaters), but their call may be one of the most horrible bird songs I have ever heard...They were so loud I am surprised that my ears didn't start bleeding, especially when one would materialize and call two feed from my head.

Now that I don't understand - it wouldn't be coastal rainforest without the 'ping' of bell miners! (Although they are very aggressive to other birds)

My two least favourite are the Currawong and the Indian miner. I work on a Fairy-wren sp., and the Currawongs are a constant nest predator, frustrating my nest-finding efforts! They are a very common nest predator of small birds in modified habitats.

The Indian miners are your typical annoying introduced competitor, taking nest-holes from native birds. They have a horrible habit of filling up multiple nest-holes with rubbish, and then nesting somewhere else - and what's worse, is they have such a cocky attitude when doing it! (now that's an annoying call...)

Birds I don't like : Non-natives, whichever they happen to be in the particular area. Trouble for the native populations, even if not obvious. Top of the list in my area are red-legged partridge, which are causing serious problems for native greys.

As a farmer I sometimes have problems with woodpigeons (cushies) and crows. However, cushies are stunning birds and such impressive flyers. They are stupid though, especially in comparison with crows. Crows I can only respect. Did you know that a scarecrow works better if you try to hide it (badly perhaps) ? Crows are too clever to think a real human would stand out in the field for ever. Hiding in the hedge, preferably with a black shiny pole that might be a gun, is far more suspicious !

Mike.

Now that I don't understand - it wouldn't be coastal rainforest without the 'ping' of bell miners! (Although they are very aggressive to other birds)

My two least favourite are the Currawong and the Indian miner. I work on a Fairy-wren sp., and the Currawongs are a constant nest predator, frustrating my nest-finding efforts! They are a very common nest predator of small birds in modified habitats.

The Indian miners are your typical annoying introduced competitor, taking nest-holes from native birds. They have a horrible habit of filling up multiple nest-holes with rubbish, and then nesting somewhere else - and what's worse, is they have such a cocky attitude when doing it! (now that's an annoying call...)
I'm just glad we don't have Miners of any kind or Currawongs here in Cairns. We do however have the Mynahs in abundance and Black Butcherbirds and Drongos making short work of nesting birds in gardens...

Well as it stands at the moment folks, the cheeky chappie House Sparrow is the least popular bird with 5 votes, especially in the USA, followed by the Eurasian Starling [ again in the States ],4 votes, followed by the Mute Swan and Cormorant on 3 votes then come Woodpigeon, Ringed Necked Parakeet and crows [ type unspecified so I'm guessing Carrion or Hooded Crow ] and farmyard Rooster on 2 votes.
Feral Pigeon, Avocet, Ruddy Duck, Coot, Mallard,Japanese White Eye, Canada Goose, Robin, Stonechat, Herring Gull, Pheasant, Dipper, Noisy Miner, Bell Miner, Brambling, California Quail, Magpie, Grey Catbird, Spur Winged Plover,Guinea Fowl, Currawong, Indian Miner, Red Legged Partridge, an old bird serving in a shop and a human appologist all so far get 1 vote.

Would it be fair to include Mrs T. in this....[ Oh god, I fear a political backlash coming!]

Er maybe lets just stick to the feathered variety for the time being.

I don't really hate the Brambling, that was a more tongue in cheek comment about how rarely I see them. So scrub that from the list - I can't say I dislike any birds. :)

Ok JTweedie I'll do just that. Must admit at the time it seemed an odd choice.

I'd consider them one of my favourite birds.:t:

Magpies for me! They have a wonderful colour when 'scoped' but they are all I seem to get in the garden- they demolish the fat balls I put out for the 'other' birds and cackle annoyingly!!

Magpies for me! They have a wonderful colour when 'scoped' but they are all I seem to get in the garden- they demolish the fat balls I put out for the 'other' birds and cackle annoyingly!!

But they're good entertainment when there's a cat about, one of the few birds that'll have a go!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back