• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds have that bit of extra magic for you? (1 Viewer)

My own favourites: difficult! I still love Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, they add so much life to the Spanish steppes. I suppose I would also have to choose Bonelli's Eagles too, as we have worked closely with them this year and they have rewarded us by rearing a chick for the first time in 6 years.

There's more on this story in our newsletter,, just out.

Steve

Great website :t:

Bonelli's Eagle are amazing birds. I love all eagles, but Bonelli's have a real character and jizz, and very smart birds as adults. Also sadly greatly declined despite a lot of suitable habitat. I think I read somewhere that development and the species being very prone to nest failure by disturbance are leading to this

Have to agree with Snow Bunting, they're little stars! Kingfisher also is one of those special birds, I HAVE to say out loud "Ooh! Kingfisher!!" whenever I see one, and Little Terns always are very special to see too.

Thinking about the question though there are lots of birds I see that always bring a smile and cheer me up to see them, very few I don't get a buzz from seeing. Just from the top of my head the high hitters for me would be: Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting, Stonechat, Sanderling, Common Tern, Swift, House/Sand Martin, Goldcrest, Pied Wagtail, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Nightjar, Green Woodpecker...

Can we include ones we haven't seen?
Seen:
Stonechat
Flame Robin
Yellow-plumed Honeyeater

Haven't seen:
Sabine's Gull
Snow Petrel
Magnolia Warbler & a multitude of other Dendroica spp.
Eider
Those Pterodroma Petrels (Gould's in particular)
Orange-bellied Parrot

Haven't seen (genders):
Lazuli Bunting (male)
Western Bluebird (male)

Misc.:
Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Birds of prey and owls are just magic - Gyr Falcon (white phase), Snowy Owl, Golden Eagle, Short Eared Owl, Barn Owl, Merlin, Hobby, Goshawk etc all superb, but for me its Great Grey Owl or male Hen or Montagu's Harrier. Just stunning!!

Non BoP's I love include Roller, Bee-eater, Wallcreeper, Pom Skuas, Hawfinch, Redstart, Bearded Tits, Wryneck, Nightjar, Tree Sparrow, Sedge Warbler, Firecrest, Ruppell's Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Red-backed Shrike, Squacco Heron, Spotted Redshank, Sanderlings - all gorgeous and fascinating birds! And then elusive blighters like River, Savi's and Groppers.

Birds seen away from Western Palearctic I love include Sooty Tern, Red-eyed & White-eyed Vireos, and those colourful warblers like Black-Throated Blue, Blackburnian, Prothonotory, Cerulean, Black & White, Northern Parula, Bay-Breasted etc.

Last edited:
Sooty Shearwater for me.
I will never tire of watching their masterful movement across a pounding sea. And to think how far they fly. True magic.

Steve

Any birds with feathers ;)

But especially:

Owls
New World Warblers
Antpittas
Thrushes
Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds

I also have a soft spot for LBJs, I love sparrows, wrens, and Old World warblers, (especially cisticolas)

Barbets, paradise flycatcher, any of the Hornbills.... and of course cassowaries - I have been close to tigers and leopards, but nothing as exiting as being close to a cassowary

Bonelli's Eagle are amazing birds. I love all eagles, but Bonelli's have a real character and jizz, and very smart birds as adults. Also sadly greatly declined despite a lot of suitable habitat. I think I read somewhere that development and the species being very prone to nest failure by disturbance are leading to this

Yes, Jan-Paul, they are among the major issues. Also electrocution, poisoning rearing its ugly head, and interference at nesting sites by Griffon Vultures and Golden Eagles.

Nice photos on your gallery, although some of them make me feel a bit itchy!

Steve

I forgot one nice bird.
The Raven...it´s so impressive when a Raven fly over you and play in the wind.
I love it when they turned on the back in flight etc....
A fantastic bird:)

Now we're on the subject of Bonelli's Eagles I'm sure you'd enjoy watching the video I've just uploaded to You Tube, of a Bonelli's plucking and eating a pigeon.

http://youtu.be/RegK918z-nM

Steve

The returning Stellers Sea Eagles and Japanese Cranes to Hokkaido each winter are my 'magic birds'. This is even better when the either land on my fathers farm or just fly over.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back