• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which camera to go with Kowa DA-10/DA-4? (1 Viewer)

paperweight

I posted a similar thread about 18 months ago when I bought my Kowa 883 with two eye-pieces (30Wide Angle plus 22-60) and a camera adapter for my Canon Ixus (DA-10 plus DA-4).
At that time, I was recommended a Panasonic G1 and a "Pancake" 20mm lens, but that would just fit on the DA-10 and take away one of the big advantages of the DA-4: a quick change between watching and taking pictures/shooting videos. Another hint was the Panasonic FX 150.
Well, more than a year has passed, and I'm looking for a camera that fits my system and offers these options:

Change of battery and SD-card without taking the camera off the adapter (so these parts must rather be at the side or on top of the camera).

HD-Video and Nightshot would be great since I love to watch owls.

It can be a camera with just one lens, but the option of changes lenses will be fine and welcome

Thanks for your help.

Heiner

I have a Nikon P300 and it's dedicated adaptor FSB 8. They marry perfectly to the kowa with the inner part of the DA10 in place. I believe the nikon P301 is exactly the same shape as the P300 and therefore should fit using the FSB8. You can access everything without removing the camera. The FSB 8 has a fitting built in for a cable release to be attached, but the camera itself has a 2 second delay timer which I find best, press it, let go and all vibration stops perfectly in time to take the photo.

I also have a Canon S95 that can be fitted to the DA10 outer portion, but you need a 37mm adaptor ring and a universal adaptor that is about 25 euros. As the adaptor is not a canon piece of kit, you cannot open the battery compartment without removing it from the camera and it takes a bit more faffing about to get rid of vignetting. Whereas with the nikon you just whack it on and away you go.

Dear Heiner.
My suggestion would be not to move away from the G1, or one of its successors, too quickly. In fact, it is quite easy to put on or take of the camera from an eyepiece with a DA10/1 or other DCA-type of connection. Moreover, the camera is always centred and battery and card compartments are easily accessed.
Also, once you have the bird in your electronic viewfinder you are much more in control of focus and composition than while looking at an LCD on the back of a point and shoot camera.
For some of us, the high ISO and video capabilities of the G series is a big bonus.
See also my post of march the 21st in the G1 thread on usable lenses .
Regards, Sjerp
Some results on my blog (from march 10th onwards):
http://poldernatuurblokhoven.blogspot.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back