• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which lapwing? - Kruger, South africa - March 2022 (1 Viewer)

Not Black-winged lapwing, as it doesn't have the red ring around the eye.
Not African wattled Lapwing as the legs are reddish instead of yellow.
I'm puzzled

Attachments

• 2022-03-10-JMR60599.jpg
    2022-03-10-JMR60599.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 58
Temporarily ignoring the leg colour (camera?reflection?), on balance I would say that this is an immature Senegal Lapwing Vanellus lugubris (yellow eye-ring), but I could easily be persuaded that it is immature Black-winged Lapwing Vanellus melanopterus (more open face, plainer upperparts). Did you have it in your binoculars, see it in flight, or hear a call?

As with your pytlilia photo this image has an overall golden yellow hue, which can be corrected - see attached.

I would agree with James and feel it is Senegal

Brian

senegal lapwing bf.jpg

It move silently through the grass and my telelens found only this single time its way through the twigs. This pic is all I have and is much better than what I could see with bare eyes. No sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back