• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which pic is best (1 Viewer)

teamsaint

Please can you tell me which you prefer

Attachments

• sikaA.jpg
    sikaA.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 106
  • sikaB.jpg
    sikaB.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 91
  • sikaC.jpg
    sikaC.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 127
  • sikaD.jpg
    sikaD.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 101
Tom,

I much prefer the last two - I think its because of the trees in the background giving a better sense of environment and space in addition to the fact that the pictures are clearer because you have cropped less. Out of the last two, it would be the 3rd pic, as the better contrast makes it more 'punchy'. Great shot.

cheers steve,
i also prefered the 3rd one but someone else said they thought it would be better with the trees cropped out

Agree with above, if indeed the first two are crops. However it is a personal thing so whatever floats your boat!

If I were to have taken the pictures I might have taken the initial landscape shot as you did then turn the camera around to get some sky and the deer in bottom of frame in central and then slightly off central positions. All depends if you had the opportunity. I think also you can tweak the saturation just a bit more. It should make a flat image look slightly more lively....but don't over do it.

Just my view. Nice shots.

I also like number 3 best. But I've always been a sucker for shots that place the animal as part of, not separate to, their environment.

I too prefer the less cropped versions but in these find my eye immediately drawn to the light tree against the dark background at top left.
The low contrast does convey the sense that we are viewing from a distance. The long lens and/or crop and the lack of diagonals makes the picture quite two dimensional so I guess one objective is to achieve a pleasing balance between the four horizontal bands of colour which mainly comprise it.
As an exercise I tried increasing contrast in foreground relative to background which gave a heightened sense of aerial perspective ie. the landscape "disappears" off more into distance. However, think I prefer the darker trees in original which may better balance the large area of green at bottom and perhaps "frames" or contains the picture rather better.
OK sorry about the waffle, I like C best too.

Attachments

• sikaE.jpg
    sikaE.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 72
It just goes to show how individual viewing photos can be. I found the river and background distracting so I would go for a crop like this. If the subject had been looking into the background then maybe I would have cropped out the foreground and left the river and trees in. Neil.

Attachments

• sikaBadj.jpg
    sikaBadj.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 61
I like the third one too. The dark trees do draw the eye a touch but I think that's not necessarily a bad thing. It really gives a sense of the environment the deer is inhabiting, which I like.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back