• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which scope do I keep ? Nikon Hawke (1 Viewer)

Seanbrown

Hi
A year ago I bought a Hawke endurance scope (used)
been happy with it .
Now I’ve been given a Nikon fieldscope Ed has a zoom eyepiece and I also have a fixed 2 eyepiece .

Only tested both in my garden can’t see a lot of difference.
Just wondering what everyone else would keep , as I’ll be selling one .
Any advice much appreciated

sean

Attachments

• 92766EC1-55E8-4C5A-887F-DFEEF4BF5D57.jpeg
    92766EC1-55E8-4C5A-887F-DFEEF4BF5D57.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 42
  • E5645EC2-0C40-4340-A75C-47D7F7B74347.jpeg
    E5645EC2-0C40-4340-A75C-47D7F7B74347.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi,

the Nikon is a 60mm Fieldscope ED II - straight. What to keep - good question.

In my case, if optically equal (so that implies testing thoroughly), probably the Hawke. The reason is that I am neither a big fan of straight scopes (due to needing a higher tripod and it's difficult to share the view due to having to adapt the height) nor of the big barrel focus drive...
But it seems that your version of the endurance is a non-ed version, so I think that you will see a difference.

So by all means test them thoroughly side by side... the Nikon has its plus points too, especially the two fixed and wide EPs for very nice and wide lower mag views or with the zoom to the maximum magnification - which it should reach easily and tack sharp. Compare the view at max magnification to your Hawke and I think you will see the difference easily.

Otoh the Nikon is going to fetch more when sold... if you do, sell the body with one EP (maybe the zoom or let the buyer choose) and the other EPs separately, they are getting rare and are sought after, especially the WA fixed ones.

Joachim

Hi,

In my case, if optically equal (so that implies testing thoroughly), probably the Hawke. The reason is that I am neither a big fan of straight scopes (due to needing a higher tripod and it's difficult to share the view due to having to adapt the height) nor of the big barrel focus drive...
But it seems that your version of the endurance is a non-ed version, so I think that you will see a difference.

So by all means test them thoroughly side by side... the Nikon has its plus points too, especially the two fixed and wide EPs for very nice and wide lower mag views or with the zoom to the maximum magnification - which it should reach easily and tack sharp. Compare the view at max magnification to your Hawke and I think you will see the difference easily.

Otoh the Nikon is going to fetch more when sold... if you do, sell the body with one EP (maybe the zoom or let the buyer choose) and the other EPs separately, they are getting rare and are sought after, especially the WA fixed ones.

Joachim
Thanks for the reply
I’m edging towards the Nikon as it’s smaller and lighter .
unfortunately today is gloomy, so i will take both out and give them a test when it’s a brighter day .

unfortunately today is gloomy, so i will take both out and give them a test when it’s a brighter day .
Gloomy is better. Sunshine will cause heat haze and make an optical comparison impossible.

John

PS:- Grew up near you in Burnham and went to school in Marlow.

Gloomy is better. Sunshine will cause heat haze and make an optical comparison impossible.

John

PS:- Grew up near you in Burnham and went to school in Marlow.
Thanks for the advice.

ive lived in Wooburn and Bourne end all my life.
Have you moved away now ?

Hi,

Joachim
After testing them , the Nikon is slightly better at range . But I do prefer the angled Hawke .
So maybe thinking of selling both , and getting something angled with Ed glass . Not sure how much I could generate from them both . Do you have any recommendations as to a scope I should look for . Probably looking around £500 , so maybe something used .
thanks Sean

Hi,

maybe get an angled classic fieldscope ED body and keep the some of the EPs you have...

Joachim, who'd probably go that direction in your situation...

Hi,

maybe get an angled classic fieldscope ED body and keep the some of the EPs you have...

Joachim, who'd probably go that direction in your situation...
Good advice! Keep the fixed eyepieces, sell the Nikon body-only or with the zoom, get an angled Nikon ED.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back