• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which sub-species of desert grey shrike, Mauritania (3 Viewers)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
Seen in Nouakchott today. The two pictures may represent two birds but they look like the same sub species.

They are dark birds with little white. To my eye, they look more akin to algeriensis than elegans.

So which sub species of southern grey shrike (or as it is split by some: desert grey shrike) is here please?

Rob

Attachments

• 1grey.jpg
    1grey.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1612 (Large).jpg
    DSCN1612 (Large).jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Not seen elegans myself, but agree with your thesis, going by pics and descriptions, this looks much more like algeriensis with that grey underside.

Maybe some algeriensis migrate south in autumn??

Not seen elegans myself, but agree with your thesis, going by pics and descriptions, this looks much more like algeriensis with that grey underside.

Maybe some algeriensis migrate south in autumn??

Agree on algeriensis, my idea is that birds close to the atlantic sea may be darker even that much south, but never read anything like that

Thank you to you both. I am confident it is algeriensis now. However things are obviously complicated as this picture labelled elegans and taken on the coast 5 kilometres west of Nouakchott shows http://www.africanbirdclub.org/afbid/search/birddetails/species/1987/26556

Rob

it's a cline anyway, birds on Djerba in Tunisia look like the bird in the link and they are considered elegans too but on the dark end of the subspecies
and the OP bird is a juvenile moulting to adult btw

it's a cline anyway, birds on Djerba in Tunisia look like the bird in the link and they are considered elegans too but on the dark end of the subspecies
and the OP bird is a juvenile moulting to adult btw

With retrices extremely worn and half the wing already moulted to adult?
To me looks more like a 2cy in complete moult to adult......

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back