• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whimbrel or curlew? uk (1 Viewer)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
cuckmere haven east sussex uk 04/05/2023

1 of 2 birds that i watched coming in off the sea, and refound 1 on the scrape, i think it is a whimbrel given the dark brown cap but being cautious as a few of us locally got caught out by a well marked curlew last year

many thanks _I0A2965.jpg

Hello Darell,
any more pictures?
First gut feeling is Whimbrel by
  • appearant smale size in relation to the Oystercatcher
  • brownish black cap (pale median crown stripe should be visible??? Yes, but its often difficult to see in the field too)
  • where is the Gonzo kink? Not there, ... wait you can just guess one with much imagination
  • most important: you identified it as a Whimbrel in the field
Edit: is it possible to see pictures of the "Pitfall Curlew"? Thanks!

Can see the crown stripe
Just like the identical 'stripe' that you can see, also barely visible, hovering just above the dark back. No, they're both photo/compression/whatever artefacts.
But it is a whimbrel: saw some at almost exactly that spot, on almost exactly that date, looking exactly like that, last year.

Hello Darell,
any more pictures?
First gut feeling is Whimbrel by
  • appearant smale size in relation to the Oystercatcher
  • brownish black cap (pale median crown stripe should be visible??? Yes, but its often difficult to see in the field too)
  • where is the Gonzo kink? Not there, ... wait you can just guess one with much imagination
  • most important: you identified it as a Whimbrel in the field
Edit: is it possible to see pictures of the "Pitfall Curlew"? Thanks!
as usual thankyou for your concise reply the curlew that caught us out was last year very distant but still a curlew but well marked autumn bird sorry no photos as it was distant

The bird is obviously a Whimbrel, so this post is not about that.

I am someone who often adjusts posted photos in the hope of bringing out features that will help with ID. I think the large majority of my edits (and others do this, too) are useful. But sometimes I over-interpret my adjusted photos.

The Fern says that the Whimbrel's crown stripe can be seen, and Butty challenged this with claims about photo artefact lines. In this case Butty is right. Artefacts can be because of the quality of the camera and sensor, but can also arise because of light conditions, haze and so on. Harsh transitions (dark to light) can often cause a very thin border even with good equipment and software.

In this photo the Whimbrel's head is if anything tilted away from us, and the crown stripe is not visible. As Butty says, there are very thin, maybe only visible on a large-ish screen, white line artefacts along the head and back (and I would add tail, and almost certainly bill) of the bird in this photo.

Given that the bird is a straightforward Whimbrel, I don't think there was any need for Butty to point this out. But since he has, and since I sometimes use details like this myself for ID, I would just say that I think Butty's remark on the very thin white line feature is correct in this case.

In the first attached image, I have marked the head and back lines that Butty mentioned with a blue line, and the tail line with a surround. The second photo is the same without these markings - see if you can find them now they have been pointed out. The third photo is RitchieTwisty's edit with arrows marking the white lines.

BF Whimbrel A.jpgBF Whimbrel B.jpgBF Whimbrel C.jpg

Just don't understand #11. Bird has clearly dark "cap". This is one element of the crown "stripe" and what I meant. I didn't mean to say you can see the central pale feathers...

...I have never seen a curlew of any species with a dark cap like this. As for white edges to the image, they might or might not be there (apparent contrast can appear like this): not what I meant and not important for me.

The dark cap simply isn't an artifact...

Just don't understand #11. Bird has clearly dark "cap". This is one element of the crown "stripe" and what I meant. I didn't mean to say you can see the central pale feathers...
Sorry, then, but what I understood and still understand by 'crown stripe' is the central pale feathers. I mean - the crown would be the centre of the head, not the sides, wouldn't it?

Sorry, then, but what I understood and still understand by 'crown stripe' is the central pale feathers. I mean - the crown would be the centre of the head, not the sides, wouldn't it?
Yes technically. Perhaps I should have said "the dark stripe which borders the central light one", but life is short, that seemed overly pedantic and it's clear that at least member understood what I was talking about.

We would not expect to see the thin pale central crown stripe which is bordered on each side by darker ones because of the angle the bird's head presents in this photo

There should be a black cap and another stripe from the bird's eye, but I think we've all identified it as a whimbrel. More importantly, you identified it as one in the field. If you know enough about the bird(s) in question, trust your first instinct unless you are absolutely sure you were wrong.

Last edited:
what I understood and still understand by 'crown stripe' is the central pale feathers
Agree. On a bird whose pale central crown-stripe is known as a prime ID feature, this is the only way it would reasonably be understood.
that seemed overly pedantic
Not remotely. Terminology exists for a purpose.
The dark cap simply isn't an artifact [sic]
No one said it was.
Thank goodness that odd digression is put to bed 👍🏻 - even if the most expansive contributors to it 'don't care' about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back