• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whistler from the Arfak mountains, Papua (1 Viewer)

mehdhalaouate

I took this shot when I visited the Arfak mountains in Papua 2005, for me it looks like a Regent Whistler (Pachycephala schlegelii) but I am not 100% sure as in this photo the belly of the bird is yellowish and not orange. Can this be a Golden-backed Whistler (Pachycephala aurea)?

Regards,
Mehd.

Attachments

• whistler.jpg
    whistler.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 197
Hi Mehd,
As far as I can figure you have it right. P. aurea should not be in range (I have it local and distributed to mountains of SW West Papua). Of the sympatrics probably the most resemblant to schegelii would be soror soror, but I think soror has respect to schlegelii a much more restricted black bib.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back