• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white-eye (South Africa) (1 Viewer)

Pictures (bad) taken at St. Lucia in N-E South Africa where both african yellow and cape white-eye occur. The latter occurs with the ssp. virens.
Looking at pics on-line and reading guides I cannot find a definite feature to distinguish the 2.

Any help?

Pictures from jan the 7th 2019, birds high in the canopy, no call heard.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• white_eye1.jpg
    white_eye1.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 11
  • white_eye2a.jpg
    white_eye2a.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 12
  • white_eye3.jpg
    white_eye3.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 13
I think they are Cape Z. c. caniviridis, because the African Yellow has a yellow frons (Stirn) and the whole underside is bright yellow. The lower bird in #1 is sitting in bright light, but in #3 the lower bird has only a lighter throat (I can't see the vent clearly). In #2 the frontal view of the frons confirms the id for me

Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for your insights.

I want to specify that the bird in the light is always the same.

My initial thought was also Cape white eye but then looking at pics on-line (see below) you can see that the belly is not always so bright and there is often some contrast with flanks and throat so I was looking for some extra features to base the ID.

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/african-yellow-white-eye-zosterops-senegalensis/seen-well-maweni-farm

http://www.pers-birding-pages.com/www.pers-birding-pages.com/African_Yellow_White-eye.html

If you look at the ranges as well as just the photo you will see that most of your linked birds cannot be Cape White-eye on range alone. Cape White-eye is a Southern African endemic. African Yellow has many subspecies, of which only 2 occur is South Africa. This Opus page shows all the subspecies and their range. The first link show a Tanzanian bird of subspecies jacksonii. The second link shows a fewbirds from Tanzania, with only one ZA bird that shows its belly. Look at its frons and you can see that it is yellow. The final bird doesn't present its belly to the viewer.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the id (I found the white-eyes very puzzling in those corners of South Africa where I figured both were possible), but note there have just been heaps of white-eye splits (IOC), with the African Yellow White-eyes occuring in SA now being within Southern Yellow White-eye.

Thanks Larry for the heads-up!

Thanks Andy for your knowledge. Just to be sure I understand you correctly. The ssp of Africa Yellow white eye (now Southern yellow white eye) present in St. Lucia South Africa would be very brightly uniformly yellow on the belly. Therefore, the birds I saw were Cape white eye. Am I correct?

Cheers

Last edited:
Can't comment on the id (I found the white-eyes very puzzling in those corners of South Africa where I figured both were possible), but note there have just been heaps of white-eye splits (IOC), with the African Yellow White-eyes occuring in SA now being within Southern Yellow White-eye.

Thanks for that Larry, I'll have to follow that up. Armchair tick? Possibly, but I'm returning to that corner of the world in June, so possibly a propper tick too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back