• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-tailed eagle babies? Danube Delta this morning (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and Bird watchers!

I have ID the bird as an White-tailed Eagle. Very poor picture.

I was blowing up the picture to 100% to try to ID the bird. By accident, not seen it before, I discovered a nest with 2 birds.

Is it possible to tell if this is the White-tailed eagle nest with a baby and wife/ husband?

I spend 6 days in the Danube Delta going around the delta from early morning the late afternoon in a small boat. Today it was cold and very windy so not many birds. But the eagle stuck out, but very poor light and picture.

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Thank you!

I think it is eggs you are not allowed to post as mentioned in the forum head line as you must disturb the birds to get the picture of the egg.

This nest is hundred of meters away and I did not disturb the birds in any way

Kind regards
Aladdin

Ask for advice on WILD bird ID questions. PLEASE include the country in the title of your thread. No photos of eggs or captive birds.

Dear tconzemi

Thank you! I agree with you about the nest. But I think there is a difference from climbing the tree to get pictures or a picture from hundreds of meters away by accident. Neither me nor the boat driver saw the nest and back home blowing up the picture I spotted the nest.

At least I think so, but I might be wrong

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Whatever, considering the circumstances I don’t think there is any harm here in confirming Adult and Young White-tailed Eagles in this photo; no way to confirm sex of adult from plumage, although the female should be noticeably bigger if both were together.

OK, I have removed the picture taken from a few hundred meters away and accidentally there was a nest on the picture that I discovered when I looked at the picture back home. This is ridiculous!

OK, I have removed the picture taken from a few hundred meters away and accidentally there was a nest on the picture that I discovered when I looked at the picture back home. This is ridiculous!
It isn't ridiculous, but think you would have gotten away with it, as it wasn't a picture of a nest - more a picture that happened to have a nest in it.

However the reasoning behind having NO pictures of a nest is that it's a sliding scale/thin end of the wedge - if 200m away is ok is 100m is 50m is 35m away and then ... pah. It just saves argument! Someone will come along and say I was 20m away but I was hidden ...

As another example, we have Blue Tits nesting in the side of our house in an old pipe hole about 4 feet above the ground. I'd love to post a picture, and I'm sure it would be absolutely fine (you can't see the 'nest', just the entrance hole), but life is just easier, and it saves encouraging others ...

Nice sighting anyway!!

OK, I have removed the picture taken from a few hundred meters away (...) This is ridiculous!
Dear Aladdin

First and foremost: there was no disturbance here, I fully agree.
BUT nest pictures are banned from all serious webpages as we have millions of bird photographers out there and 99% are just taking the same pictures they see elsewhere.
The message is clear: keep away from nests as nobody will publish this kind of pictures.
Don't be a bad model.
I had no problem to comment as obviously here there was no disturbance, taking away the picture after getting your ID was just perfect.

NOTHING RIDICULOUS HERE

There are however plenty of photos on Birdforum of storks on nests, of rook colonies, of seabirds on nests (think Gannets, eg around the many photographs of the Black-browed Albatross with Gannets on nests all around), even of people's nestboxes (and nestbox cams). In reality, Birdforum doesn't enforce a ban on photographs of nests - fully agree that such photographs should be moderated, but there does need to be a commonsense approach too.

If it is clear the possibility of disturbance is minimal (eg the stork's nests, the Gannet colonies from public viewpoints, etc), then I say they should be allowed, as are they in reality. The argument against this is how can we ensure disturbance isn't happening, but this argument can be applied to all bird photos - are they taken on the approach to a nest, are they using tape lures, etc?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back