• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who mentioned macro video? (1 Viewer)

Great!! :)
I know a few people who showed interest in video with the MPE and macro in general - though they were all wondering how to light the shot - since flash is no longer an option. I guess the high ISOs of the 5DM2 made that shot possible (Certainly lighting seemed to be duller, no glaring spots)

And the minor shake could even be countered easily by the new antishake editing software coming out for videos (some of it is very impressive now)

I'd been wondering about macro videos... that looks good, when I eventually get a DSLR with video I'll have fun playing with it.

I think that bit where the damsel cleans its head with its foreleg and then cleans its foreleg in its mouth is amazing. You just wouldnt notice that properly without having recorded the video.

There are clearly major issues with lighting, DOF and camera shake to deal with but I expect all the solutions are out there. You'd still need pretty static scenes to record. I don't think AF would keep up with a red spider mite charging about for example.

slightly off topic, but did anyone see the episode of 'Life' last night. I was watching in full HD and the macro shots on there were absolutely mind-blowing. There were close-ups of reptile's firing there tongues out like missile's and catching prey all in slow motion - the clarity and sharpness was unbelievable. The BBC have made some superb wildlife stuff in the past but the camera work in this series is taking it to a new level.

Tim that was great a macro video, I am looking forward to next year to incorporate some macro video whilst out taking stills of the Butterflies, insects and Dragonflies, that will be with the trusty Sigma 150mm f2.8 in the first place, last night I put the kenko 1.4 between the 7d and the Sigma and that seems to work very well, a bit more magnification. I have only taken 2 videos so far, but it seems to me that manual is the way to go, to be able to set up your shutter speed that has a big baring on your video shots, well thats what I have learnt and read so far, keeping the shutter speed between 1/30 to 1/125 the slower the shutter speed the smoother the movement will be. My only gripe is no AF whilst videoing like most camcorders, but you can use manual focus, I find MF a bit harder to do when looking at the liveview, but everything comes with practice.

Last edited:
I assure you it wasn't my idea. My thoughts on video in DSLR's are well known. Of course that would probably change if I actually had a DSLR with a movie mode. ;)

With regards to the camera shake issue, I wonder if the new IS macro will find a niche as a macro movie lens?

I assure you it wasn't my idea. My thoughts on video in DSLR's are well known. Of course that would probably change if I actually had a DSLR with a movie mode. ;)

With regards to the camera shake issue, I wonder if the new IS macro will find a niche as a macro movie lens?

You're right Adam, it was Pete who mentioned tit.

Yes, the IS macro might help or some sort of shake reduicng software in the processing stage.

As I haven't got a camera that will do video, it's just somethin to ponder at preHowevr, I know it's obvious to say so but addig video really does give a whole new dimension to capturing and appreciating wildlife. I wonder if you could add 'macro sound' as well with a dslr and some sort of microphone... There must be sounds associated with brushing our antennae! :-O

slightly off topic, but did anyone see the episode of 'Life' last night. I was watching in full HD and the macro shots on there were absolutely mind-blowing. There were close-ups of reptile's firing there tongues out like missile's and catching prey all in slow motion - the clarity and sharpness was unbelievable. The BBC have made some superb wildlife stuff in the past but the camera work in this series is taking it to a new level.

Thanks for that Roy. I think I've recorded it - I must get round to watching it now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back