• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are Meopta's so hard to sell? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand it. Meoptas are top of their game, some disagree with me, but they are alpha in my eyes.
Very Leica HD+ in their view and build quaility.
They also supply glass to one or more of the top 3.
They are just crap at marketing.
The B1 got 'best of the best' 10 years ago in a bino test.
More people should try these things (y)
Rg548,

Some staff in a sporting shop I visited (here in England) were singing the praises of Meopta all round for binoculars, telescopic sights and everything else. They had visited the factory in the Czech Republic and the ethos there combined the best of eastern bloc practices — which I had never thought would be that great but the work ethic was old school, probably sexist by our modern western ideas, and also apparently they make a lot of glass and optics for other star marques and for the defence industry e.g. submarine sights and so on. In their own use they rated Meopta as highly or more highly than the other alpha-considered products, and they weren't trying to sell me anything as I went there for other reasons.

I know Troubadour has a very high opinion of Meopta and one day I am hoping to try one even if the resale values are not in my favour.

I'd be interested what Meoptas discontinued or still in production impress BF members the most! I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack...

Tom

Last edited:
Actually ChatGPT can write an essay that sounds halfway decent on Shakespeare or Sustainability or anything else you like. It makes one think twice about how much ordinary human writing is basically just recycling.

So I didn't mean to suggest that you should just learn tricks to "inspire confidence"; you're taking polite indirection too literally. What I really meant was that your posts sounded awkward and unnatural in so many ways: the people you addressed weren't looking for a MeoPro model; you didn't mention which one you had; "$977.49" is strangely precise as an original cost, and way too much for an 8x42 HD, and surely you didn't really pay that while living on student loans and eating from a food bank? (Even now that seems implausible.) And then there's the repetition by cut and paste, and the odd phrase "due to my poverty", and all this coming out of the blue with no prior sense of who you are. That's why your posts seemed highly suspicious, because of course there are scammers.
A tough crowd indeed.

By now this has surely been more than enough discussion about you, but thanks for clarifying the situation. I do hope you understand that I wasn't saying that you sounded like a chatbot, just the reverse: suggesting how using one might(?) at times help you communicate more clearly. It's a new technology, and just a thought, but you may need any help you can get. If truly effective therapy for trauma even exists, it's awfully hard to find. Good luck.
I am still not believing it, my spider senses are still ringing. Our forum is an open invitation to scammers when one sells to newbies with no history here.

I am still not believing it, my spider senses are still ringing. Our forum is an open invitation to scammers when one sells to newbies with no history here.
Agreed.... I am glad tenex raised a 'question'..... something not right here.

Let's go back to aesthetics... I was really referring to the new B1+ models. The previous B1 I think looks better IMO.
DSC_0128.jpg
Hi Chuck, what's that very plain & dreary-looking bin with the red circle on the right? ;-)

I agree … Buyer BeWare. This seller is trying too hard to unload these here. To many excuses not to sell elsewhere. Poverty story, to much detail …. Really !
I usually just tell lots of detail in person and by chat and on the phone because I am a verbal learner and processor. I just naturally talk a lot. Some people are like that. I am a storyteller by nature. I'm not really making excuses, moreso trying to stand by my principals of who I want to have my binoculars. It's because I Iove animals so much that I am feeling upset thinking of them getting shot and killed by a person who bought my binoculars. I have been feeling nauseated and really sad at this thought. So I prefer to sell to birders, rather than hunters, if possible. I will probably have flashbacks and this will be added to my brain as a trauma along with the others I have due to my PTSD, if I were to sell to a hunter. These would last my entire life. I am trying to take care of my mental health and provide the least traumas for myself. I already had nightmares all last night because of how stressful I am feeling right now about my poverty situation and the lack of buyers. But I think selling to the birders might prevent the trauma of selling to the hunters. Just because I am new to the forum doesn't mean I am "less than" any of you. I am here birding in Texas just like you are birding wherever you are. I can sell my one pair of binoculars here just like you can sell yours. It's a free country and we have equal rights. Such as the rights to free speech, and so on. Please try to see the good in the situation. If I do sell my binoculars, I will get the benefit of not being in a financial crisis. I will not have anymore binoculars to sell after that, so I will have no reason to talk to you again. This would be good for you, since you don't like me. However, I might make other birder friends on here, maybe some women, or more college-aged people, and we can talk about birds in Texas and I can say what I saw here with the naked eye until I get a job and can afford to buy another pair of Meoptas, because I will not have a financial crisis and I will want to go back to seeing more birds. I think maybe you guys are so grouchy because you are all men and you are all older than me and you are confused as to why there is a young woman here. Perhaps you feel your club of men in their 50s has been infiltrated by an interloper. IDK your ages but I guess that may be it? :) No offense is meant. It shouldn't matter. My binoculars are just as good as anyone's. So I can sell them to anyone of any gender or age. Or maybe it's that you are not trauma informed people, who have knowledge of how to interact with a person with PTSD.

Rg548,

Some staff in a sporting shop I visited (here in England) were singing the praises of Meopta all round for binoculars, telescopic sights and everything else. They had visited the factory in the Czech Republic and the ethos there combined the best of eastern bloc practices — which I had never thought would be that great but the work ethic was old school, probably sexist by our modern western ideas, and also apparently they make a lot of glass and optics for other star marques and for the defence industry. In their own use they rated Meopta as highly or more highly than the other alpha-considered products, and they weren't trying to sell me anything as I went there for other reasons.

I know Troubadour has a very high opinion of Meopta and one day I am hoping to try one even if the resale values are not in my favour.

I'd be interested what Meoptas discontinued or still in production impress BF members the most! I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack...

Tom
Would you be interested in a discontinued Meopta MeoPro HD 8 x 42? I have it listed in the classifieds: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/meopta-meopro-8-x-42-hd-for-sale-400obo.438048/

Yes, I can see your point and if I was on an established forum and had established friendships with people, I could see why the group wouldn't want to let new people in or would be worried about scammers who are criminals. I guess it's important to distinguish between criminals and newcomers. We are not the same thing. As a newcomer, I am willing to do a video chat probably via Facebook as I walk around my campus to show whoever wants to see me that I am the person that I say I am and that I have the binoculars I say I do and I live where I say I live. I think that ought to be enough to verify my identity with most people.

Agreed.... I am glad tenex raised a 'question'..... something not right here.
Yes, questions are fine, I will reply to all the questions. Probably with a lot of words because that is how I talk. My answers will probably contain some of my trauma, because I have PTSD. I am answering all the questions honestly. I am willing to meet on campus outdoors with my binoculars by video chat (Facebook messenger probably) so you can see me and my binoculars and my campus and see that I am telling the truth. I put my Facebook in my profile. I think it's visible, but if not, please let me know.

I usually just tell lots of detail in person and by chat and on the phone because I am a verbal learner and processor. I just naturally talk a lot. Some people are like that. I am a storyteller by nature. I'm not really making excuses, moreso trying to stand by my principals of who I want to have my binoculars. It's because I Iove animals so much that I am feeling upset thinking of them getting shot and killed by a person who bought my binoculars. I have been feeling nauseated and really sad at this thought. So I prefer to sell to birders, rather than hunters, if possible. I will probably have flashbacks and this will be added to my brain as a trauma along with the others I have due to my PTSD, if I were to sell to a hunter. These would last my entire life. I am trying to take care of my mental health and provide the least traumas for myself. I already had nightmares all last night because of how stressful I am feeling right now about my poverty situation and the lack of buyers. But I think selling to the birders might prevent the trauma of selling to the hunters. Just because I am new to the forum doesn't mean I am "less than" any of you. I am here birding in Texas just like you are birding wherever you are. I can sell my one pair of binoculars here just like you can sell yours. It's a free country and we have equal rights. Such as the rights to free speech, and so on. Please try to see the good in the situation. If I do sell my binoculars, I will get the benefit of not being in a financial crisis. I will not have anymore binoculars to sell after that, so I will have no reason to talk to you again. This would be good for you, since you don't like me. However, I might make other birder friends on here, maybe some women, or more college-aged people, and we can talk about birds in Texas and I can say what I saw here with the naked eye until I get a job and can afford to buy another pair of Meoptas, because I will not have a financial crisis and I will want to go back to seeing more birds. I think maybe you guys are so grouchy because you are all men and you are all older than me and you are confused as to why there is a young woman here. Perhaps you feel your club of men in their 50s has been infiltrated by an interloper. IDK your ages but I guess that may be it? :) No offense is meant. It shouldn't matter. My binoculars are just as good as anyone's. So I can sell them to anyone of any gender or age. Or maybe it's that you are not trauma informed people, who have knowledge of how to interact with a person with PTSD.
I will have to assume you don’t eat any meat 😉. Seriously though there is still a lot of birders that hunt, so you would never know who bought your binoculars, unless your going to ask people who make you an offer.

As far as a free country , not as much as it once was. And the free speech thing, again not so much. There’s a lot of censorship especially if you’re on one side of the political spectrum. God for bid you say something like some vaccine doesn’t work, you’ll see how fast that free speech thing doesn’t work so well.

Let’s not go down the grumpy old white men road and go woke here. Yes , a lot of grumpy old men here, no doubt, but a lot of woman here as well who love the hobby , some of them are grump too🤪. But all and all this is a great forum and great people here that go way out of their way to help others who have similar interests.

Im sure by now after reading some reply’s you can see how your original post could’ve raised eyebrows from any selling or auction site. People with no sale history, new member and in dire need of money is always a red flag and it should be for when your back on your feet and ready to buy another pair of binoculars. Put the woke aside and see the reality. Trust me, it’s not about grumpy old men.

I responded to your email with some suggestions. There was somebody here who suggested that if someone wanted to buy your binoculars that they take receipt of them before PayPal releases the money. You know to make sure the item shows up in the described condition and safely from shipping.

Good luck I really mean that.

Pail

I will have to assume you don’t eat any meat 😉. Seriously though there is still a lot of birders that hunt, so you would never know who bought your binoculars, unless your going to ask people who make you an offer.

As far as a free country , not as much as it once was. And the free speech thing, again not so much. There’s a lot of censorship especially if you’re on one side of the political spectrum. God for bid you say something like some vaccine doesn’t work, you’ll see how fast that free speech thing doesn’t work so well.

Let’s not go down the grumpy old white men road and go woke here. Yes , a lot of grumpy old men here, no doubt, but a lot of woman here as well who love the hobby , some of them are grump too🤪. But all and all this is a great forum and great people here that go way out of their way to help others who have similar interests.

Im sure by now after reading some reply’s you can see how your original post could’ve raised eyebrows from any selling or auction site. People with no sale history, new member and in dire need of money is always a red flag and it should be for when your back on your feet and ready to buy another pair of binoculars. Put the woke aside and see the reality. Trust me, it’s not about grumpy old men.

I responded to your email with some suggestions. There was somebody here who suggested that if someone wanted to buy your binoculars that they take receipt of them before PayPal releases the money. You know to make sure the item shows up in the described condition and safely from shipping.

Good luck I really mean that.

Pail
Thank you and good luck to you for whatever you are doing.

I am sorry for any confusion that I have caused. I am a neurodivergent person, so I don't always communicate in the most clear ways. I will try to edit, check my work, and correct things, if I make mistakes and confuse people. Thank you.
Your communication is fine! Don't worry about it.

No need to get all worried about a "scam" IMO....buyers can just use regular Paypal for payment if there's concern. What's the fee, like 3%? Then you get protection if the goods aren't delivered.

Your communication is fine! Don't worry about it.

No need to get all worried about a "scam" IMO....buyers can just use regular Paypal for payment if there's concern. What's the fee, like 3%? Then you get protection if the goods aren't delivered.
Thank you. Yes I have used PayPal before, and it seems to work ok for me. Please let me know if you are interested in the binoculars I have for sale or you know someone who is. Thank you. https://www.birdforum.net/threads/meopta-meopro-8-x-42-hd-for-sale-400obo.438048/#post-4451809

as soon as i saw this "advertisement" it felt like a spam multiple threads and messages the poor back story ( go to a pawn shop ) yorkshire common sense it feels wrong

as soon as i saw this "advertisement" it felt like a spam multiple threads and messages the poor back story ( go to a pawn shop ) yorkshire common sense it feels wrong
Well I am not a rich person, I was born into poverty and so I have a poor backstory. Unfortunately, I am still poor now, only I am trying to work my way out of it by going to grad school. But it is extremely difficult and always has been for me to escape poverty. It has been an ongoing struggle for me for my entire life. So I am not going to sound like all of the rest of you who can apparently afford and keep multiple pairs of binoculars at once. You guys and girls must have a regular income and you are not struggling. Whereas I have an irregular income despite all my efforts to make it otherwise, and I am constantly struggling financially. But I keep my head above water and I keep moving forward. Maybe you never had a financial struggle, so all stories about poverty sound fake to you. I have been scammed myself by people who made fake poverty claims so I kinda know where you are coming from. I feel nervous about going to a pawn shop since I was scammed by a thrift store in the past which never paid me. I get taken advantage of a lot, but I do learn each time, and I grow.

As for making multiple threads all linking back to my ad, well, that is mainly just me trying to be proactive and find some people who like this brand. I figured if they said they like the brand, maybe they will go buy my binoculars. I was thinking that because from the stories people tell, it seems that they like to have a variety of different pairs of binoculars on hand to do different tasks. So I thought they might want mine. I thought, it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

It is easier for me to focus on one thing at a time than to do a bunch of different unrelated things due to how my brain focuses with the PTSD. So I think I have already found and replied to all the relevant threads while focusing on that. Now I just need to wait for people to talk to me and reply each time they do. Each time some one accuses me of being a criminal or a scammer, I need to be honest and explain my real situation and defend my honesty and honor. Eventually, I hope someone would ask to see my binoculars in a video chat with me and then they can see me, my campus, and my binoculars, and then maybe they could be interested in buying them. Of course they wouldn't have to. Up to them. I could also have the video chat with them during the packing and the shipping if they needed to see that. We could just schedule all our video meetings. I could be in a video meeting with them when I took the package to the place where it would be scanned and mailed, and they could see all of that.

Anyway, I will not make anymore comments on threads because that part I think is good enough so now I'm just going to wait for people to talk to me. I don't usually use forums anyway and I usually talk to people verbally by phone. So none of this seems natural to me either. I don't know how to sell anything on a forum because I have never tried to do it before. So this is me guessing how to do it and doing what I guessed I ought to do. So when you do a new thing and you don't know what to do, it's going to seem weird to people who do this all of the time and do know what to do. So please just give me some mercy and some grace. I'm a Christian person, so that seemed appropriate to say. :) Thank you. :)

New member SC - it’s all about trust ( buy the seller). You can check members post history (and trustworthines) on here, ship the binos at an agreed price and they will pay you on receipt?

I'm not sure if this is something that I can post here, but an anonymous member suggested I do so. Thank you to the anonymous members from this forum who donated to my GoFundMe that they found on my Facebook. :) I did not ask them to do it. They just did it. For this I am grateful. :) Thanks, friends.

I guess they knew about it because I was complaining about how I set it up to try to get it working along with all the other things I did to try to make money, and then I got no donations except for one little one, along with all my other financial struggles. I said it during one of the times I was being honest and explaining my poverty, when people were trying to say I was a scammer.

I would like the opportunity to keep my binoculars so I can do more birding with them and not have to sell them here to make ends meet. Especially since I have only one pair and birding is a completely free way to relax in nature when all the things in my life seem so stressful and overwhelming. It takes me into another world. :) Nature therapy. :) Yay. So if it turns out that way because I managed to get nonprofit charities to help me or other donations to my GoFundMe, then I will be happy. If it does not, and I have to sell the binoculars, then I will still be happy, because I sold to a good person and I will eventually be able to buy another pair of Meoptas (probably the Optikas) once I have the financial stability I am trying to create by applying to all these jobs. I have to get one eventually.

But yes I will feel more happy if I don't have to give up my binoculars and can do it the other way. I'm open to either one to get through this hard time, though. I'm adaptable. God is going to take care of me. I am a Christian so I am supposed to believe it. It's hard to, but usually I do.

New member SC - it’s all about trust ( buy the seller). You can check members post history (and trustworthines) on here, ship the binos at an agreed price and they will pay you on receipt?
Well, maybe. I would prefer to be paid first and then ship the binoculars, like how Ebay works. Even though they hold my funds for 14 days I still know they are there. I can see them. It's reassuring to see them. Then they are in my bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back